Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

~ You Should Get Out More ~

by Tina~in_ut

The hubby and I are in Boston. We went out for dinner and a movie and while walking back to the hotel, I told him that I had all these ideas for blogs. He smiled and said, "You should get out more. Experience life!" I do tend to want to stay home as much as possible now......only going out with friends on rare occasions.

Anyway, tonight, the hubby suggested Fleming's for dinner. He knows I love it and he wanted a good steak. It was about a mile walk and both of us love to people watch, so the time went by quickly and we arrived in no time. We were seated and I didn't really pay attention to who was seated around us because I was intent on selecting the perfect feast! After we ordered, I looked around and noticed a couple across from us. She was eating a salad and he was on the phone with his menu open in front of him. I thought it a little rude, but hey....whatever. The hubby and I talked about the kids and the trip and colleges for the twins....and then I realized.....the guy was STILL on the phone. Of course, the hubster and I started talking about them.......and making up their story. The woman was asian and the guy was some kind of latin......not Mexican.....I couldn't put my finger on it. Hubby was SURE the woman was brought over to this country to serve the man.....worse than a mail order bride. Oh yeah.......so he takes her to an expensive steakhouse. duh! I noticed wedding rings. So they're married.....but are they married to each other? I got my answer after he hung up his phone. They were silent for a while. He finally ordered his food and a beer and then started talking to her. He got no response. He tried again. Nothing! And again. And nothing! Ohhhhhhhhhh.....they're married to each other!!!! It took her forever and a day to say anything to him, and when she did, it was a shrugged shoulder and an "I don't know!" After she finished her salad, she got up to go to the restroom. Hubby and I talked for a while about other things, but after a while, we both realized at the same time that the woman had not come back. We looked straight into each others eyes and said the same thing, "Maybe she left him!" It took FOR FREAKING EVER, but she finally came back. When she did, she let him have it. In the middle of her talking to him, their food arrived. That's when I got a good look at the man. He looked like he had his tail between his legs and was ready to be shipped off to Timbucktoo! At least he had the wherewithall to look contrite. They were pretty quiet after that. Toward the end of our meal, I did notice that he pulled his phone out again and was messing with his apps! My hubby made a phone call just to be funny, but it was to our son and he didn't answer.

What would you have done if you had been this woman? I would have taken the darn phone away and hung up. If you can't be reached, you can't be reached. My husband has been complaining because his boss is sending work e-mails while he's on vacation. I looked at him and said, "Duh! Don't read them until Monday!" Just because most of us have cell phones with internet doesn't mean it's appropriate to use them ALL THE TIME! They are extremely convenient to have in another city for stuff like movie times and gps and restaurant locations, but ya don't have to talk on the phone in a restaurant and ignore your wife, unless of course you want to be the topic of a blog!~

20 comments:

Unknown said...

well my God....you didn't get a picture for this?

There is nothing more rude than cell phones. No one is so important that they should interrupt a "real" conversation when that fucking little box rings or beeps or God forbid starts playing some ridiculous song for a ring tone!

Its not like the thing doesn't retain all the information you need to return texts and calls at an appropriate time...

There is just something inherently rude about forcing others to listen at close range to your phone conversations....

I guess its the deplorable etiquette people have when it comes to cells phones that I can't stand..

Tinka said...

Good Morning Michael - Congrats on being first.
Very interesting blog Tina. I will just copy and paste what Michael said because I agree with every word. It has become so prevalent I hardly notice it anymore. That is sad too. As technology progresses I wonder what the world will be like in five more years.

sacBarb said...

Tina, I chuckled when you wrote that you and hubby made up a story about the couple. My hubby and I used to do that too, and they would be outrageous stories, too. If only the people were talking about knew....

Michael, ditto from me too. Conversations have become almost obsolete. It's sad really.

Tinka, How is Tango? Wasn't he sick recently?

Flapping a wing to all the Owls. I hope everyone is well and having a good day.

Just_Lin said...

Michael You're looking very spiffy in first today. I agree with you whole-heartedly. People definitely need to learn better manners when it comes to cell phones. I resisted getting a cell phone for a long time because I didn't want to be available 24/7. I'm glad I have it now but I never make it more important than the person I'm with.

Just_Lin said...

Tina I bet that woman took so long to return to the table because she was trying to decide if she was just going to walk out on him or not. It would have served him right, that's for sure. Just because you're married to someone doesn't give you the right to be rude to them.

Just_Lin said...

Tinka I also am wondering how Tango is doing. Is he acting normally now?

Just_Lin said...

SacBarb Are you getting any sun today in San Diego?

Tinka said...

Thanks for asking about Tango.

Tango's rubbing her face against everything has stopped. She still however shows signs of doggy "Old Timers". She paces the floor and doesn't sleep in one place for long. She will go to her crate, sleep half an hour, wake, start pacing for a while and then sleep at my feet for another half an hour. The Vet says she is not in pain but is acting very similarly to an elderly person with alzheimer's disease. I try to give her a lot of attention to distract her from this strange behaviour.

Tinka said...

I had no trouble signing into the blog this morning. However when I tried to publish the previous comment it said I had changed my password 22 hours ago. I have just gone through the process of getting a new password. Has anyone had that happen to them? I didn't change my password 22 hours ago. Spooky eh what????

I am off for my nap. Have fun today owls.

sacBarb said...

J/L, it was 64 and sunny today but the clouds are coming in and rain is expected again in the early norning hours.

Maureen said...

Good evening feathered friends!

TINA...interesting blog. I try to be polite about my cell phone usage. It is out of control in social situations and makes me even more angry when people are on their phones at work. We don't get paid to text and talk and post on FB while we're working.

When Nicky passed away and we were having a service there were a couple of people texting and playing with their iPads. So rude.

Off my soap box now.

Maureen said...

Waving to all you lovely feathery owls!

Just_Lin said...

SacBarb It's pouring at the moment and I just heard thunder.

Just_Lin said...

MO It's hard to believe that people would be texting and such during a service like that. How disrespectful!

Tina~in_ut said...

RAIN!!!!! I went to meet my son's classmate for cawfee and pastries......we had a fun time and talked and talked....then when we went to git back on the subway, they wouldn't let us thru and we were told to go to the next station.....they let us in there, but no trains were running.....they shut down from the stop before me to the stop after I was supposed to get off and there were police EVERYWHERE! I guess there was a suspicious briefcase left at one of the stops....so I walked back to the convention center.....in the rain....and got soaked.....AND then didn't get to change before dinner.....I looked like a drowned rat...thank goodness we were only having dinner with hubby's old boss and a vice principal....just really an old friend who now lives in Austin~ what a day!!! but i didn't git to buy my Vera Bradley bag.....tomorrow!~ :D

Thanks for the comments~ I love having my phone for just all the stupid everyday things.....makes life easier.....but rudeness....ugh!!!! I'm glad the woman stuck up for herself~

Unknown said...

Tina has tried on numerous occasions to kill me by attempting to make me text and drive.

Just_Lin said...

Michael You are so funny. :)

whabbear said...

Tina! We have a Flemings in the Palo Alto Shopping Center, and it's one of my favorite area restaurants when you want to splurge. The Prix Fix menu is usually fabulous!

But as for that guy's behavior? You should have both started talking very loudly... about Tiger Woods!

Hi to J/L, Barb, 'weenie, Michael, and Audrey!

whabbear said...

Tina! We have a Flemings in the Palo Alto Shopping Center, and it's one of my favorite area restaurants when you want to splurge. The Prix Fix menu is usually fabulous!

But as for that guy's behavior? You should have both started talking very loudly... about Tiger Woods!

Hi to J/L, Barb, 'weenie, Michael, and Audrey!

Just_Lin said...

Bear Nice to see you!!!