Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen: Pythagoras! #5

by Whabby


Uh oh. Another Whabby Wednesday? Yep… afraid so! When we left off last week, we’d solved the problem of how to let you see the light pulse even though, when it gets back to Shirley’s floor, the old gal is two kilometers down to your right. This is illustrated in the figure above. The pulse travels up the cylinder to the top while your spacecraft is moving one kilometer to the right; it travels back down while the craft moves another kilometer to the right. By then, the glass in Shirley’s floor has angled itself to reflect the light right back into your eyes. Moreover, your stopwatch is smart enough to automatically subtract the extra time it takes the pulse to cover the distance from Shirley’s floor back to you.

The figure illustrates another important fact. When the pulse of light reaches the floor, from George’s perspective, it has traveled along a perfectly straight path up to the ceiling and back down, just as it did when Shirley wasn’t moving. This is because George is moving right along with Shirley. It would be just like shining George a flashlight on the ceiling of a moving train from within the dining car. Both the flashlight and the dining car are moving together, at the same speed, so the beam from the flashlight would go directly up and down.

From your perspective, though, Shirley is displaced two kilometers when the flash returns to the floor. From your frame of reference, the pulse cannot have traveled straight up and straight down! To see the path it’s had to travel, look at the really narrow triangle on the left side of the figure below. Shirley is one kilometer to your right after one second. To reach the ceiling, therefore, the pulse has had to travel up the slanted side (the hypotenuse) of a very, very, very narrow right-angle triangle. Then, after the pulse is reflected, it has to travel down the hypotenuse of an identical (but mirror-image) right-angle triangle to get back to the floor. As you can see from the figure, the slanted side of a right-angle triangle, which I’ve labeled Line A, is ever so slightly longer than the straight up-and-down line which is the path the pulse follows for George. I’ve labeled that line “Line C” (bonacci will know why I’ve done that). The side of the triangle created by Shirley’s motion to your right is Line B.

Now, the speed of light is the same everywhere, in all frames of reference. Since the pulse of light has to cover more distance for you than it does for naked George, the pulse has to take more time to complete its journey for you than for George. How much more time is determined by exactly how much extra distance there is along Line A compared to Line C. With the use of some simple grade-school geometry, we will compute that distance, and work out precisely how much additional time the light pulse took to traverse it.

To work out that distance, we must turn to the handy old Pythagorean theorem.

In plain English, the Pythagorean theorem is a way of calculating the length of Line A when you know the lengths of Lines B and C. As shown in the formula below, you multiply the length of Line B by itself, then multiply the length of Line C by itself, then add (sum) those two values together. Line A is just the square root of that sum.

B2 + C2

A =

For the triangle we’re considering, Line C, the distance that the light beam covers from the viewpoint of naked George, is 300,000 kilometers. Line B is just the distance Shirley has traveled in one second, or one kilometer. 300,000 multiplied by 300,000 is a ridiculously large number, 90 billion in fact. On the other hand, as far as Line B is concerned, multiplying the number one by itself equals… LOL… one! The sum of these two numbers is 90 billion and one. Obviously, being so, so very close to 90 billion, the square root of 90 billion and one is virtually identical to the square root of 90 billion itself, or 300,000.

Even thought this all may seem quite obvious, I want to draw your attention to a couple of things. First, note how this simple math jives completely with the physical shape of the triangle in the figure. The illustration doesn’t begin to do justice to the small size of the slope of line A; in reality, that slope is so small that A almost overlays C directly; they are almost exactly the same length (or almost exactly the same line). Clearly, when Line C is super long and Line B is super short, virtually all of the length of the hypotenuse (Line A) is determined by the length of the much longer line C.

Turning this around, the visual impression from the figure, that Line A is almost equal to Line C, jives perfectly with the Pythagoran theorem. When you square a number that’s quite large to begin with, you end up with a humungous number; on the other hand, when you square a very small number, the result is still pretty small. When you add them together and take the square root of the resultant, the long line contributes virtually everything, and the short line contributes virtually nothing.

Compare that situation to the right-angle triangle depicted in the figure below, where Lines B and C are both 300,000 kilometers long. Since Line B = Line C, B squared and C squared are the identical number (90 billion), and since you add the one to the other, for a total of 180 billion, before taking the square root, they contribute exactly equal amounts to the length of side A (which turns out to be 424,264 kilometers). Of that amount, each line contributes exactly 212,132 kilometers, or just over 71 percent of its own length. As long as they are of equal length, each side of a right-angle triangle always contributes exactly 71% of its length to Side A. Don’t believe me? Pick some examples of your own, say B and C are both one kilometer long, do the Pythagorean math, and confirm it for yourself!

The purpose of this little geometry lesson won’t become obvious until the later blogs. For now, let’s return to our main thread. When Shirley was traveling one kilometer a second, mathematically, the tiny extra distance “donated” to Line A by the presence of Line B took the light pulse such a tiny amount of extra time to traverse that it was way below the sensitivity of you and your stopwatch to measure. For all extents and purposes, both you and your confederate were still in the same “time zone”. But what if you increased Shirley’s speed to something much more substantial, say half the speed of light, or 150,000 kilometers per second? That’s just absurdly quick; 2000 times as fast as the fastest spacecraft we’ve ever launched, in fact. In just the single second that it takes for the light pulse to stream away from George’s searchlight and travel up to the ceiling, the spacecraft will cover 150,000 kilometers along the line to your right add

the additional second it takes the pulse to return to the spacecraft floor, and the spacecraft reaches a point 300,000 kilometers away!

My question to you for today’s comment section is: What does that do to the shape of the all-important right angle triangle? What does it do to the lengths of Lines A and B? What is YOUR estimate of the time you will measure now for the light pulse to complete its journey? And why?

Or, if you wish, you can just wait until next Wednesday’s blog for the answer!

89 comments:

DeeDee said...

BAM!! 1

DeeDee said...

BOOM!! 2

Tina~in_ut said...

good morning bear~ do i really have to read this? :D

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee~ congrats on first~

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

BAM BAM DeeDee! Ohhhh Love your hair! Oh and sexy eyes! congrats on first!

Ok I have read this twice Whabby and my brain goes all fuzzy when you say A x 2 plus B to the 1. Huh???

I barely made it through high school Algebra. I am guessing the triangle turns into a diamond and the light zips through like an enema through a poopy blockage!

Noooo? Well my answer is the same as JustLins!

Now can anyone help me balance my check book?

DeeDee said...

I gussied up special for todays lesson!!

But I understand some bloggers are protesting because they don't want their minds indoctrinated by this Marxist triangle talk....if God had wanted us to understand the speed of light he would have put it in the Bible!! But then again he did put George Clooney in there....you know...in the book of George....

But in celebration of what I know will prove to be and interesting day....the first round of Pythagoras is on me!!!

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!!

Lynn D said...

Tina Eunice looks lovely this morning to! When is she going to spring for contacts so we can see her soulfully dead eyes more clearly?

Lynn D said...

LMAO DeeDee! Damn Whabby and his Marxist agenda.

DeeDee said...

Good Morning Ladies!

Lynn D....shhhh...its wig....

Lynn D said...

Ok read it again I still can't get a handle on it.

I have done the google thing looking for a translator no such luck. Who has the internets address for the answers? Come on cough them up.

goldie said...

GOOD MORNING HOOTERS!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE for all the birthday wishes and messages.

A special thank you to Jodi- I'm wearing the earrings today, going to dinner was great and thanks for getting 'bleacher back' with me. :)

Congrats on 1st DeeDee. Good morning lynn and tina.

Love you whab, but you lost me and now that I am over the hill I don't have the brain capacity to figure it out. Oh wait, maybe its just that whole peri-menopause thing that causes my brain to malfunction....

Zona said...

Good Morning!

BEAR: I read half of your blog and now I have to rest a minute..my brain is on overload. I do know the Pythagorean Theory though...

"The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle..is equal to the sum of the squares of the two adjacent sides."

It's one of the first things about geometry I ever knew..I learned it when I was about 10 years old from a Danny Kaye movie..and I've never forgotten it!

Ok..going back to try and tackle the blog again..BEAR where were you twenty years ago when I had the brain cells for this kind of stuff?? ;)

DEEDEE: 'Grats on FIRST BAM!!

GOLDIE: How's 50 feel? :)

LYNND: I think I'm gonna copy from you after you copy from J/LIN!

'ello TINA!

Tina~in_ut said...

Oh silly bear~ Teach me something I don't already know!~ :)~

Good Morning LynnD, Goldie, and Zona~

I was just looking at my stats at work....it seems that yesterday I completely satisfied a customer~ :)~ you know those after call surveys?....I got a 5 out of 5 score~ :D

bonachichi said...

Good morning DeeDee, Tina and LynnD! To everyone else, WAKE UP!!!

DeeDee; you're starting to look like you crawled through a briar bush backwards. I'm just sayin'...

bonachichi said...

Whab, it looks like the hypotenuse of that thar triangle is going to grow in RELATION to the speed of Shirley. You very cleverly named that Line C because in the physics world, C is the universal constant for the speed of light; 186,000 miles per second.

That being said, my safe little world has been shattered. Does Pythagoras not dictate that

a**2 + b**2 = c**2 in a right triangle? I am lost. What happened to A? Is this the "springing Einstein" part?

bonachichi said...

Zona and Goldie, sorry! You came in whilst I was in the middle of my A crisis. Good morning to you!

whabbear said...

ROFLMAO@Dee Dee! Yes, and by the end of this series of blogs, all the owls are going to be convinced they should have voted for George McGovern!!!

bonachichi said...

Tina, I'd have thought you've "completely satisfied" a lot of customers.

whabbear said...

Uh oh... losing owls right and left. This is a key blog; if I lose you here, I've lost you for the rest. Tutoring available all day in the comment section!

Zona: Correct! The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the two adjacent sides. So to get the actual length of the hypotenuse, you just take the square root of the sums of the squares of the two adjacent sides.

Or in our case, the hypotenuse is the path the light pulse takes from your perspective (remember, you are lying stationary on the ground while Shirley is speeding off on a straight line formed by your outstretched right arm... her movement is creating line B of the right angle triangle). The square root of the sums of the squares of Lines B and C equals the length of that all-important hypotenuse.

whabbear said...

Tina: Yes! LOL!

whabbear said...

Bonacci: I've renamed the lines! In this world, C is not the hypotenuse!

whabbear said...

That's key! I've relabeled so that C is the line straight up and down, which is, as you know, the length that the light pulse travels in one second (and the path the light pulse takes for George).

whabbear said...

Bon: Isn't a right angle triangle just one where one of the interior angles is 90 degrees? Look at the tall thin triangle in the figure. The angle formed by the intersection of Lines B and C is 90 degrees.

Tina~in_ut said...

omg...i just got it!!! C stands for Cock! am i right??!!! I'm so excited!!! isn't it the line that is straight up and down?!!! :D

Tina~in_ut said...

25~

bonachichi said...

Whab, yes. A right triangle is one that has a 90 degree angle. The fact that I am falling apart over this equation shows that whilst you have discovery and creation in your destiny, I'll never be more than a bean counter.

Regardless of what you call the lines, the equation starts with
a**2 + b**2 = c**2

All the terms are squared. Yet you produce an equation where 2 terms remain squared and one is not. My algebra skills can't get from the original equation to that linear isolation of a. Or b. Or c.

whabbear said...

Bon: Just substitute the labels!

You're right... normally, it's the hypotenuse that's labelled C, and the other two lines are labeled A and B. So the normal equation is

a**2 + b**2 = c**2

I'm just calling the hypotenuse "a" instead of "c". So, I start with

c**2 + b**2 = a**2

and then take the square root of (c**2 + b**2) to get a

Just_Lin said...

I have to run to the dentist but this is my first impression:

Since the light still travels at the same speed up and down the shaft, the height of the triangle stays the same, doesn't it, but now that the spacecraft is so much farther away when the light returns to George, the triangle is not as pointy as it used to be and the base of it is much wider.

Gotta run to the dentist. I'll check back later.

whabbear said...

Bon: Uh oh! I just realized that you are referring to the actual equation as it appears in the blog:

a = b**2 + c**2

You're right, that is incorrect! I was having real problems with formatting this thing; the equation kept getting corrupted by the other graphics, and what is showing up... is wrong!

The equation should have read:

A = B**2 + C**2

with the square root sign (which I can't seem to import into this comment either) encompassing B**2 + C**2

Very sorry about that!

whabbear said...

Just Lin: Precisely!!! :)

bonachichi said...

Okay, well I can get on with my life. Are you going to throw in some phenomenally long arms (or legs?) in there so the hypotenuse grows? Naked George isn't going to care, but the person with the long arms might notice.

sacBarb said...

Happy Hump day Owls.

And speaking of hump day, when the light hits George's naked erection, doesn't it deflect to another part of Shirley and ruin your whole theory? ijs!

I'm with Lynn and agree with whatever J/L says. I also may have to replace my Wednesday morning coffee with Wednesday morning wine, but I will try to hang in there. I have to admit though, I am so distracted by George...what did you say again?

sacBarb said...

DeeDee, BAM back atcha.

Tina, You're a 10 in my book.

Lynn, get to packing.

Goldie, I hope you had a super birthday.

Zona, A Danny Kaye movie????

J/L, I hope your dentist appointment goes well.

MEK, (((HUGS)))

Jodi, (((HUGS)))

Waving to all the other Owls. I am off to run errands and shop for a small BBQ. BBL. ♥♥♥

Tina~in_ut said...

okay....why are there still hijackers in the world?

Maureen said...

I KNOW...I KNOW...Mr. Kotter, call on me!!

PI r squared...





...cornbread r round

Did I get it???????

Back to work, where I really DO know something ;)~

East Bay J said...

Hi hooters,

Quick fly-by from work.

Goldie, happy belated birthday! I'm so sorry I missed telling you yesterday!

Congrats on 1st Dee Dee! "You rook mahvelous".

Tina I like the way you think i.e. C = cock. hee hee!

I will read the blog topic later when I get home!

Have a nice day everyone :)

bonachichi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bonachichi said...

That was my delete, folks. A knee-jerk reaction to the Mexico hijacking that was inappropriate.

bonachichi said...

Where is everyone today?

goldie said...

Zonabaaaaaaaaaaaby- in answer to your question, 50 is fabulous (so far!)

Thanks EJB and Sacbarb!

bona- I felt the same knee jerk reaction about the hijackers...

bonachichi said...

Goldie; I know it's not good to hope for bad things to happen to people. I just think that when people do this sort of thing, a decisive and unequivocal action is called for to discourage future attacks.

I never did wish you Happy Birthday. Probably because there's no way anyone would believe you're 50.

Just_Lin said...

I just got home and didn't know anything about a hijacking. :(

Bear Do I get another gold star? :)

SacBarb The appointment did go well and we are on schedule for Friday. Yikes!

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee Congrats on getting banged first thing this morning. Like the new do, too.

Bear Thanks for the lesson today, I feel smarter already. :)

sacBarb said...

J/L, As you know, I have mixed emotions about your appointment, but it will be good to get it all over with. We'll be thinkin' of ya.

Mary/MI said...

Hi everyone.
Whabby, I'm not ignoring you.. really! I was gone a few hrs today. I have been having a few 'puter problems. I am on my lap top now. I have been off & on like Tinaho on a ho convention!
My son left to class and Mr Mary went to play cards. I thought I was going to have a nice quiet internet night. Well, the door bell rang and there stood "the guest that never leaves"!!! He doesn't come over often, but he sure makes up for it! He is an old class mate of Mr Mary's. I finally coaxed him out to our garden, gave him some tomatoes and told him I had a call to make. He has stayed until way past midnight before. Wait til Mr Mary gets home! I am going to make him read Whabby's blog and solve the mind boggling thing for me lol!!!
Whabby, I don't pretend to even begin to understand it! After all...at my age, I only have so many brain cells. I can't get past Georges nekkid body!!
That doesn't mean I wont try though lol!!

Bebbilane said...

Mary, I hate to admit it but I am with you on the brain cells and the not getting. *sigh*

Zona: I totally relate to your blog yesterday. It has been a little bit weird around here lately and I hate days like those. I admire your attitudes about it. You are lucky to be surrounded with positive energy.

whabbear said...

Mary and Bebbi: No problem! This is not the usual fare for the nest, to put it mildly, so even posting these blogs was a bit of a favor on Carol's part!

Maureen said...

WHABBY...I wouldn't call it a favor. We all encourage each other to write about what interests us...so your blogs are very welcome...just as all of ours are.

I really know the answers, but I don't want to seem too intellectual, so I play dumb...NOT!!!!!!!

DEE DEE...a BAM and a BOOM. You just need a BADDA BING!

bonachichi said...

I've suspected that Whab is really an advanced life form sent from the future. Now I'm pretty sure of it.

bonachichi said...

Did anyone see that Star Trek movie that came out some time this year?? I'm not a Trekkie, but I've been watching it over the past few days and it's pretty good!

Mary/MI said...

Whabby, I happen to like reading your blogs. I use them to brag you up lol!! Have I ever told you that I love your brain???

Mo,lol at knowing all the answers! I'm not so sure there is a real answer, but a greater understanding of what our sweet Whabbear has running around his magnificent mind :):).
I have a few talents of my own if allowed the opportunity It does involve George Clooney though!

Mary/MI said...

bonacci, I haven't seen it. I wish I would have caught it on the big screen.

iteach said...

Oh, poo, Whabby, I 'm sooo tired. I will have to read your wonderful blog tomorrow.

One of my students decided to run today. He is autistic, so sometimes he does some unusual stuff.

So today he decided to run into the corn field that is behind our school. Twice.

I'm still picking the corn out of my hair.

I'll be back tomorrow......

I hope you all a great day and have a peaceful nights rest.

Mary/MI said...

Goodnight Jennifer. I hope you don't have cornmares lol!!

bonachichi said...

Mary, forget the answers. I'm still trying to figure out Whab's questions.

Jennifer, that must be something, handling autistic kids. Picking corn out of your hair, huh?

Just_Lin said...

Jennifer You must be exhausted! Sweet dreams.

Mary Look at it this way, George's shaft is the same size it was before and the light is still traveling up and down George's shaft at the same speed it was before. However, George's shaft is also moving away from you at a much faster rate than before, so when the light comes back down the shaft he is much farther away than he was the first time. It's very pornish.

whabbear said...

Thanks, Mary! :)

iteach: I'm a little weary tonight too! Think I'll turn in early... after a check of FB!

Goodnight, all!

whabbear said...

J/L: Gold Star!! :)

whabbear said...

J/L: Care to speculate on just how much more time you're going to measure that light pulse taking to get back to the floor when Shirley is traveling at 150,000 kph, compared to George?

heheheh

Just_Lin said...

Bear Does George's shaft get bigger? LOL

Just_Lin said...

61

Just_Lin said...

62

Just_Lin said...

63

Just_Lin said...

64

Just_Lin said...

65

Just_Lin said...

66

Just_Lin said...

67

Just_Lin said...

68

Just_Lin said...

69 for George.

Mary/MI said...

70!

Mary/MI said...

Oh my! Georges shaft is now pulsating?

Justlin, wow I actually understood that lol!!

whabbear said...

LOL at you and SacBarb referring to George's shaft!

I'll have to work that into the story somehow. Let's see... later on, I'm going to explain how time dilation applies to everything that goes on inside Shirley, including anything George does.

Like, oh, I don't know... slowly an provocatively "making love" to himself! LOL!

whabbear said...

Ha! Mary, my post should have been directed at you, too!

Mary/MI said...

Whabbear. I shamelessly admit to understanding the sexual version lol!

Just_Lin said...

Mary LOL

Dianne/Denver said...

Hi Everyone that is still up...I am getting ready to turn in early (soon) tonight as I had hardly any sleep last night and had to get up early today.

BEAR: I am the shy quiet student in the corner and I understand every darn thing you are saying but I am too shy to raise my hand to let anyone know and i cover my paper for tests....yea, right if you believe that......

JUST/LIN: Sounds like y you have a thrilling day ahead of you on Friday. I think I would rather have a root canal or two or three or four!

I had a grouchy afternoon. It is now time that I can update my phone with AT&T. I just want to go from the Blackberry I have to a new model. When I called AT&T they told me my "reduced rate" for the phone is 299.00. That is crazy and I will just stick with my old phone. My husband saw an ad for Walmart so I went there and called AT&T from there and they suggested I go to Best Buy or Walmart and check out the phones as they are their carrier or whatever. The new Blackberry at Walmart for an existing customer of AT&T is .99!!! It took forever (no thanks to the phone company) to get it all purchased and ordered as not on stock. I luckily had a great manager at the store but can you believe that I had to be there for 2 hours and also the difference in price? I would have changed carriers if we didn't have the family plan with two other phones on it. So that made me grumpy the rest of the day.

Then....I felt we should watch the President's speech and my husband left for the cleaners and came back two hours later right after it was over. He probably planned that on purpose. I am not saying one way or the other on the health care but I just thought for a person that has such an opinion, maybe he should listen. So, that irritated me too.

Ok one more thing. regardless of your party...how rude for someone to yell out during anyone's speech but especially the President of the US. What a great example that person is to his kids, grandkids, etc. Rude in my humble opinion when ANYONE is speaking...even if it was me speaking!!

Ok..thanks for letting me clear my boobs.. I mean chest.

Just_Lin said...

Dianne I'm glad you got that off of your boobs. Yes, it was outrageously rude for someone elected to office by his constituents to yell out like that and show such disrespect for our President, the Office of the President and for our government protocol in general.

Just_Lin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne/Denver said...

JUST/LIN: You really know your shaft information. Does that come from experience? :)

Dianne/Denver said...

Btw DEEDEE, I wanted to mention how much better you look today. I love your new haristyle and the "shave and a haircut--2 bits" turned out really great. I doubt very many owls will know that phrase but I am willing you bet you know it too.

Just_Lin said...

Dianne I have to rethink that. I think I have some figures wrong. Haven't been around a shaft in quite a while. : (

Just_Lin said...

Dianne I do need to rethink it. I had one of the basic numbers wrong.

whabbear said...

Dianne: Glad you got that weight off! :)

Just_Lin said...

Bear Okay, I'm ready to take a stab at it. From my perspective, the light would have to travel approx. 335,410 km to reach the top of the shaft and then another 335,410 to come back down, for a total of 670,820km. Light still travels at 300,000 kps so I guess it would take about 2.236 seconds for me to see it but still only 2 seconds for George to see it.

Just_Lin said...

Good night and sweet dreams.

Just_Lin said...

Dianne I hope your day tomorrow goes a lot better. Rest assured that your day on Friday will be better than mine.

Zona said...

J/LIN: That's what I was gonna say!! ;)

BEAR: I think J/LIN peeked at my paper!! Actually, if she had, the only thing she would have seen is name..I'm still tryin' to understand..not giving up tho!!

DIANNE: Very quiet and shy..you don't say? Kinda like me, right? ;)

MARY: The sexual version distracts me..not sure why.. ;)

Zona said...

BEAR: Is there anyway to stop using the word "dilation"? :I...:D

BONA2CHI: I saw STAR TREK in IMAX..loved it..

EBJ & BEBBI: What are your thoughts on BB now??

SACBARB: Yep..Danny Kaye..would you like me to sing a few bars..ahem.."meemeemeemee.." ;)

Gloria said...

Whabby,
You invite me here and you lost me with your Pythagoras. You see way back when, I had a choice in school to take academic courses math/science or business courses. I went the business side of the house. I can (or use to) type 80 words a minute. Soooooooooo, I did enjoy the little eyes in your sketches but I was clueless with everything else.