Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The End of the Beginning #10

by Whabby


Have we reached the tortured end? No more scientific nonsense on Wednesdays? Yep, we have (at least for the moment…. hehehehe). But before I leave you, I’d like to finish by tackling time dilation as it exists in the real world, as opposed to the imaginary world of Einstein-style thought experiments with vaguely vagina-shaped spacecraft carrying excited naked male passengers.

Did you know that, every second of every day, subatomic particles, mostly protons, strike our atmosphere? You may have heard them referred to as cosmic rays. They are most definitely not rays, though; protons are bona fide particles with bona fide masses. And despite the name, cosmic ray, they’re hardly exotic; there are one or more protons inside every atom in your body, and inside every atom in the universe.

As cosmic rays, though, protons travel to us over phenomenal distances, having been spun up by black holes at the centers of other galaxies to about 0.99 of the speed of light. When these naked protons (by naked, I mean they’re not part of an atom) strike the gas molecules in our upper atmosphere, about 15 kilometers above the ground, they immediately decay, creating a particle called a muon. The muon continues through the atmosphere in roughly the same path as the originating proton at roughly that same high rate of speed. Now, the thing is, muons are very short-lived particles. They take an average of just two-millionths of a second to decay into other particles. That’s just an average, mind you. Some muons survive for a little more time than two-millionths of a second, while others survive for a little less. Since the muons are traveling at about 0.99 the speed of light, or 297,000 kilometers per second, how far do they travel through the atmosphere before they expire?

Distance equals speed multiplied by time. In the muon’s frame of reference, 297,000 kilometers per second (their speed) multiplied by two-millionths of a second (their average time of existence) is roughly 0.6 of a kilometer. This means that the average muon doesn’t come close to covering the distance between the top of the atmosphere, where it was created, and the ground, before it passes out of existence. Even the muons that beat the average, and exist for a little longer than two-millionths of a second, don’t last long enough to travel all the way to the surface.

Or do they? The discussion so far has been all in the muon’s frame of reference. In your (the Earth’s) world (which is stationary compared to the muon), we’ve got to factor in the extra distance that the muon is going to cover due to that now familiar time dilation phenomenon, whereby extra cycles of time/space creation occur for items, like muons, that move very fast compared to you. In the specific case of a muon traveling at 0.99 the speed of light, time is stretched by a factor of about four. In our frame of reference, therefore, instead of existing (and moving) for about two-millionths of a second, the average muon exists for about eight-millionths of a second. That is enough time for the average muon to travel about five kilometers of Earth-coordinate space before decaying, or about a third of the distance to the Earth’s surface.

But that’s just the average muon. For some of the muons that decay more slowly, the time dilation is enough for them to reach the surface, or all the way to you and I (actually, only about four muons out of every hundred last long enough for the combination of their relative longevity, compared to other muons, and time dilation, to allow them to make it).

Of course, you’ll recall that, for the object traveling quickly, time is locally the same as it is for you, and the phenomenon of time dilation turns into a phenomenon of space compression. From he perspective of the muon, it lasts exactly as long as it should, which is never much more than two millionths of a second. The muon manages to make it all the way through the atmosphere, not because it gets a longer period of time in which to move, but because the surface of the Earth lies in the direction of the muon’s motion, so the surface is about four times closer to the top of the atmosphere than it is in our framework. Stated another way, from the muon’s perspective, the distance from where the muon is created to the surface of the Earth is about four times smaller than it is from our Earthly perspective.

Actually, you could verify the presence of muons near the surface with a simple Geiger counter. Muons are radioactive, and many of the clicks you would hear when you turned on the counter would be in response to their presence. If you climbed a mountain and turned the counter on, you would hear more frequent clicks, because more muons get that far.

Well, owls, that’s kind of a wrap! We’ve reached the inevitable point where I need to “close the circle” with Karl, my friend and motivation to research and write these blogs. Frankly, that connection is kind of a downer. Being radioactive, muons are actually kind of nasty. The ones that make it, and hit the surface, also hit us, and become potential cancer-causing agents. I’ve had four different surgeries in the last year for skin cancer, with another biopsy just this afternoon. I wonder if I would be cancer free were it not for time dilation? And Karl died of complications due to surgery necessitated by the strong suspicion that he had colon cancer. I wonder if he would be alive today, without time dilation.

Ah, well. Time dilation is built into the very fabric of our reality, so there’s no point in wishing that it didn’t exist. I hope you’ve enjoyed finding out what it’s all about, owls. I know Karl would have!

81 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

1?

Tina~in_ut said...

damn I'm hot~

Tina~in_ut said...

lol...i originally wrote "damn i'm not!" lq~

Tina~in_ut said...

Okay Bear~ I read it! And I think I understand it~ (I think!) I'm sorry about ur biopsies~ And I thank you and Karl for enlightening us~ :D

NOW EVERYONE ELSE!!!!! GET UP!!!!~

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

Tina got first!

Lord aren't we full up with muons on earth? I run into them everyday. Tina has to answer their questions and now we find out they are just falling from space on to earth. Well I guess that would explain the theory of where do these muons come from?

To You and Karl, Thank you for taking the time to try to educate us Whabby! Tho I did not understand about 3/4 of what you wrote it was an interesting path. You are way over my head!

Tina~in_ut said...

hey LynnD!~ I just talked to a muon!!!! omg!!!!~

night.owls.sb said...

First!!!!!!

night.owls.sb said...

Just Kidding... :)

night.owls.sb said...

Tina..

What is lq~

night.owls.sb said...

Whabby...

I loved your series, and I am glad that the nest was able to be your forum. I know Karl would be a happy man to know the research you did on his behalf...

So, as I said yesterday.. Double Kudos..

night.owls.sb said...

Forgot to say..

Whabby..

So its the muons in our atmosphere that can be causing the cancer that has stricken so many?

Tina~in_ut said...

laughing quietly~ :D

goldie said...

Good Morning Hooters!

congrats on 1st tina~

Whabby- I swear I talk to a dozen muons a day! Thanks again for the fascinating blog- but once again, you lost me so long ago I am not even going to make uneducated guesses.

Big old wing flap at Carol and Lynn, tina and everyone else who posts today!!

I have to go to the eye dr. and get my annual exam and I decided I need new glasses. I only use them when I take my contacts out-but I lost one of the lenses and so now I have to keep one eye shut to see. LOL- Mr. Goldie told me to go order new ones for shits sake. He laughs everytime he looks at me at night when I put them on.

whabbear said...

Thanks, Tina, Carol, Goldie, and Lynn D!

Carol: I don't believe so. The number of cosmic rays that strike our atmosphere and turn into muons hasn't increased recently. They're just a constant little menace, one of many potential cancer-causing elements in our environment.

Maureen said...

I met this guy Ray in a bar in 1982 and he was outta this world...COSMIC, actually.

Finally something in the series that made sense to me.

Back to work

whabbear said...

'weenie: Wasn't he one of the guys Dianne was referring to yesterday?

Just_Lin said...

Tina Congrats on being not! Love the highlights, by the way.

Goldie LMBO @ the image of you wearing glasses with only one lens. Lani used to have a pair with a loose lens that would suddenly fall out. It was hysterical when it would happen at work while she was helping a client.

Carol Excuse me!!! I did NOT say that! I guess that'll teach me to forget to send you a quote. LOL

LynnD LOL @ muons. Thankfully they don't ALL make it to earth!

Bear Thank you for writing the series. I found it very interesting.

MO Was it Ray Walston who played "My Favorite Martian"? LOL

Just_Lin said...

I was awakened today by the sound of chainsaws. There will be lots of repairs and cleanup going on in the neighborhood today.

Just_Lin said...

How exciting! I don't get 25 very often. :)

Tina~in_ut said...

lin....lynn....really...what's the diff?~ :)~

Mary/MI said...

Making a quick fly-by.
Whabby, I didn't want you to think I was snubbing you lol!

I had our reg. Luncheon with my old work friends and now I am heading out of town to visit my ex Sister IL in the hospital. She is nearing the end and I feel the need to see her again. I know she won't know I am there, but I still want to say my goodbyes and sing her one last song.
BBL

Maureen said...

It could have been Ray Romano...afterall, EVERYONE loves Raymond.

whabbear said...

Mary: That is so sad... I know you held her in very high regard. Hugs!

Zona said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

BEAR: I had fun just trying to understand your blogs the last few weeks. I would read each one a couple of times and be surprised..and kinda excited..when the lightbulb would come on in my head and I would actually almost get it! I love learning new things..so thank you so much for trying to bring time dilation and my brain together. I know you put a lot of hard work into these blogs for us and I truly appreciate it.

btw..I'm going to read this one when my headache is down to a dull roar and see if I get that 'lightbulb' moment..Thanks again BEAR. :)

TINA: Congrats on '1?'

GOLDIE: Mr Z had the same thing happen to his glasses..only since he didn't have contacts he was going to try to duct tape the lens in and go to work...I was able to convince him he would look like a dork if he did that. He went and got new glasses.. ;)

MO: LOL @ Cosmic Ray..

MARY: {{Hugs}}

CAROL: I left lots of trees for you to steal from..go git 'em.. ;)

J/LIN: Congrats on your rare 25! ;)

LYNND: You're such a goof..lol..

I'm off to find something frozen for my neck..have a great rest of the day everyone..

Just_Lin said...

Tina Well, she's much wittier than I am, for one thing. :)

Just_Lin said...

Geez, I've been gone for hours and still no one is here. Just got back from having my hair done. It looks almost as good as Eunice's, but not quite. ;)

East Bay J said...

Hi there!

Bear I love reading your blogs, I feel it is some sort of "mind exercise".

It is hard for me to understand but enjoy trying to figure it all out.

Mary, big hugs to you...

Zona, hope your headache goes away. Today I gave 3 people shots for their migraines. I hate seeing anyone in pain like that.

We had light rain here this morning, and a sunny but soggy afternoon.

Be back later!

DeeDee said...

I have th....oh! Hi everyone! (big toothy smile)...I have the most exciting news! President Obama will be here around 4pm on Friday at the invitation of old man Bush and his wife...Martha Washington......

He is going to see the Bush Library and speak in Rudder Auditorium.....

Shut-up! It was in the paper and everything!

http://www.theeagle.com/local/Obama-visit-is-Friday

I want to look extra special because this is by invitation only and I cannot find a pair of fish-net stockings anywhere in this town!!

Maureen said...

MARY...sending you {{hugs}} and strength in this trying time with your ex-sil.

DEE DEE...Barbara is a lovely woman...I am reminded of her fondly each time I see the Quaker Oats canister...ijs!!

I am off for 4 days and I am so looking forward to it. I didn't realize just how burnt I was.

Lynn D said...

DeeDee give him a big kiss for me! Obama just to clarify! LOL

Hope everyone is having a great day. I dealt with so many muons today that I deserve a medal and I am sure at least one of them may cause cancer or at the very least high blood pressure. Sometimes living in a small town you have to wonder how many muons have bred with close family kin. Just sayin

So I am going to toddle off and have my second Tequila sour, medicinal only to stave off the cancer and high blood pressure.

Sending Kisses!

Maureen said...

LYNN... I have no tequila, so could you medicinally have one for me, too? ija

Lynn D said...

Mo just did!

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee Take a Sharpie and draw them on. ;)

Just_Lin said...

Mary It has probably been a tough day for you. (((HUGS)))

Just_Lin said...

LynnD Maybe you should have one for me, too. :)

Just_Lin said...

MO Yipee for having 4 days off! I hope you have an especially nice time on your birthday tomorrow.

Just_Lin said...

EBJ It was quiet here today. No rain and no wind, thankfully! My yard and deck are littered with leaves, twigs and branches. It is very soggy, indeed. My son's friend is coming over after work tomorrow to look at my damaged fence. He fixed another fence of mine in the past and it has held up great.

Just_Lin said...

Zona Has your headache gotten any better?

Just_Lin said...

Bear Were you in the sun a lot as a child?

Just_Lin said...

Goldie For a minute, I thought you wrote that you had to go to the eye doctor and get your anal exam. LOL

Tina~in_ut said...

lol j/l~

Tina~in_ut said...

49~

Tina~in_ut said...

50~

Just_Lin said...

Tina You're not only hot, you're electrifying!

Tina~in_ut said...

shhhhhh....i thought mo's b-day was on Friday~

East Bay J said...

JL anal exam? hee hee!

Just_Lin said...

Tina I didn't even hear you coming. Or cuming. LOL Congrats!

East Bay J said...

Bear!

Tina~in_ut said...

not til Halloween, J/L~

and I think I'm more electrocuted...than electrifying~

Just_Lin said...

Tina You're right! Apparently, I'm a muon! LOL

Tina~in_ut said...

lol J/L~ put that in for QOTD!~ that was funny~

Just_Lin said...

MO Sorry, I'm confused. Hope you have an extra great day on FRIDAY! :)

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee~ I hope he gets to meet you~ I don't know that he deserves such an honor....but it'll be nice for babbs and georgie to see you~ :D

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

61

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

62

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

63

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

64

Tina~in_ut said...

Mo~ I'm celebrating ur b-day and my dad's on Saturday by taking 5 days off! what do you want to do? :D

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

65

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

69

Tina~in_ut said...

69~

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

69

Just_Lin said...

I wonder if there is a secret society for muons. Should be since it was so much trouble to get here.

Tina~in_ut said...

damn~ i got foaded~

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

I didn't get foaded.
:0)

Just_Lin said...

Congrats Shirley! I didn't see that coming, either. I'm so muonic.

Just_Lin said...

I'm liking our Halloween avatars.

Going to go make some cookies. bbl

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Hi Just Lin! I'm going to bed now but could you save me some cookies?

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Good night Tina!

Tina~in_ut said...

goodnight Shirl~ :)~

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Whabbear your blogs have been interesting. Some of them made sense, but some were a little too advanced for my brain.

I'm glad George and I are finally finished. Did you know he has a crooked penis?

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

That's just cruel Tina.

Tina~in_ut said...

Yes Shirl~ That is cruel.....he DOES NOT have a crooked penis....it's long and thick~

night.owls.sb said...

J/L..

LOL.. sorry about the QOTD...I did it quickly and it seems did not look at the name that well..

Lynn..

Sorry I did mot give you credit for QOTD.. but it seems Tina fixed it..
So please Shirley, make a note!

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

J/L..

I am loving the avatars as well.. I have to find one.. but I have to find the time.. I am stealing, farming, milking and harvesting.. so time is really something I need more of..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

Mary..

Sending you good thoughts, I am glad you are able to say goodbye to your friend..

night.owls.sb said...

MO..

Yipee.. 4 days off.. fun.. whatcha doing for your birthday?? maybe you told us I did not read all the comments..

night.owls.sb said...

Nope Mo did not see it, all I saw is that you are in love with some guy named Ray who is cosmic, and he reminds you are Ray Romano..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

Just wanted to say Hi to all..

I am sleepy and can't type anymore..

Thanks again Whabby!

off to bed..

:O)

whabbear said...

Tina and Shirley: I actually don't know what George's male member is, um, configured.

Any volunteers to find out?

J/L: Yeah, I had my share of sunburns as a child. Nobody much cared back then!

whabbear said...

Zona: :| :) :D :DD!!