Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Art and Branding: A Collision on the Desert

by DeeDee

Art is about mythmaking.

Branding is about creating value.

Value creation also can involve mythmaking.

Since branding and art both involve mythmaking, it seems natural for art and branding to collide. That is exactly what happened with Prada Marfa.

Many people are quite familiar with Prada, the Italian fashion company which holds prime space in elite urban shopping centers around the globe. When Prada opens a new store in downtown Tokyo…well that is something that is expected.

What is completely unexpected is to find a Prada in Marfa, Texas. The town of Marfa is located in the West Texas desert near the Mexican border. It has a population of 2,121 and is about 9 hours drive from San Antonio.

In 2005, two Scandinavian artists installed a Prada mini-boutique in the desert 26 miles from Marfa. This sculpture is a 15 by 25 foot adobe building designed to look just like a Prada store, and even contains Prada merchandise. The main differences between this sculpture created by Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset and a real Prada store are:

 It is completely out of context
 It is a mini version
 It will never open
 It will not be maintained

Well, the last item is debatable. The sculpture was vandalized soon after it was finished. Shoes were stolen and the building was spray painted with graffiti. After that break-in happened a handyman restored the building.

Art and clothing are intertwined. Clothing is already woven with myth. If you think about the functional value of clothing on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs you simply need clothes to stay warm. If that is all that mattered about clothing, then a $3 shirt, $10 pants, and $5 sandals from Walmart would suffice. That is a complete ensemble for less than $20. So, why then do people spend upwards of $500 on a mere shirt from Prada?

Clothing is transformational. It is aspirational. It is enveloped with social meaning. People are paying $3 for the shirt and $497 on symbolism.

By supporting the artists in this desert adventure, Prada reinforces its sphere of meaning beyond simple utility of clothing. As doing so it becomes a more interwoven part of the lexicon of the art world. And the myth grows.

It has been in the news recently. More vandalism: The 15-foot-by-25-foot adobe cube building intended to masquerade as a boutique of the luxury Italian fashion house has been battered by vandals.

Graffiti is spray painted on an exterior wall. Bullet holes pepper the windows at the site west of Marfa.

The 6-year-old, $100,000 project was designed by Berlin-based artists Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset.

Backers say they'll clean the graffiti and make changes -- when they come up with the money.
Elmgreen, in an email to The Associated Press, says it may be time to pull the plug on the project.

This whole thing reminded me of a trip I made to Midland/Odessa (west Texas desert) to visit my friend Beth years ago. I asked her on the way in from the airport if Neimans had opened a store out there yet.....she said "Oh yes! There is a north-side location and a south-side location!"

I was thrilled at that news only to turn and see the look on Beths face....the "look" was definitely saying..."you stupid bitch..."

Then when she told me Prada had opened a boutique near Marfa....lol......I just think its neat when artists do this "off the wall" stuff....I mean ...can you imagine driving on a highway in the middle of nowhere and seeing what appears to be a Prada boutique? With bullet holes?

40 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

Good Morning~

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee~ very interesting blog~ thanks for sending it~

I googled and found this picture that totally cracked me up! MEN!~

http://www.stylelist.com/gallery/prada-marfa/993589/

Unknown said...

DEE DEE - Sounds like a social experiment gone bad. I don't understand it, or the need to have such "uppity" fashions. Of course, I'm just a simple gal from Wisconsin that shops at WalMart or the clearance rack at any of the "better" department stores in my area. I don't pay retail for anything...even at WalMart!!

Unknown said...

Good morning TINA!! Great pic....I could totally see one of my boys trying that. Of course, they weren't born in a barn, but spend the better part of their free time there!

Jodi said...

Ok....didn't realize my son was signed into his google account. The last 2 posts were from me!!!

Tina~in_ut said...

omg....read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/04/04/france.jet.wreckage/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Tina~in_ut said...

hi Tim/Jodi~

Jodi said...

That's amazing TINA!! At least a couple of families will find peace ♥

Jodi said...

Hey...quick question!! Delta doesn't have those "poptop" airplanes like Southwest do they? That story freaked my shit out!!

Jodi said...

10!!

Tina~in_ut said...

ya brat! NO WE DON'T!!! But did you see the vid on the UA flight in MSY? Yikes~ What's going on?

Jodi said...

No....didn't see that one!!

DeeDee said...

they said it was impossible to tell how many bodies are in the main part of the fuselage that they found...maybe there are many remains there....and many families can have their loved ones to bury....

Jodi...lol at "uppity fashions"..

Remember Aloha Airlines Flight 243....that was a Boeing 737 too...the entire roof and sides of the front cabin blew off...it sucked a flight attendant out and seriously injured many passengers.

There was a movie with Connie Selleca as the pilot....

Seems to be the 737 rather than the airline....

Jodi said...

DEE DEE - You're looking royal today ;) Can't wait to watch Will & Kate's wedding!!

Bebbilane said...

Good morning Tina!

DeeDee: That was interesting! I had no idea..very funny art. Sounds like the Texas I remember that they would have bullet holes and graffiti..lol.

sacBarb said...

DeeDee, Very interesting that they would put that out there in the middle of nowhere. I would think they would want it in a more populated area so more people would see it.

Tina, LOL at your link. This probably was the guy that did the grafitti right after he took that whizz.

Tim/Jodi, LOL @ pop top...well it's not really funny...

Bebbi, Hello Bubbles

Happy Monday to all the Owls.

Zona said...

Hi Guys!

DEEDEE: I'm not much for labels..my mom was..but not me. In fact..if it wasn't for Sex and the City..I wouldn't even know who a lot of designers are. Oh wait..I do know I like Reeboks better than Nikes..does that count? ;)

TINA: Lookin' goooooood!! I can't get the link to work..I'll try another 5 times... ;D

JODI: I'm with you..only I'm a simple gal from AZ by way of PA! I just wish I looked half as good in what I wear as you do in what you wear!! :)

BARB: Location Location Location!! :D

BEBBI: Hi Sunshine!!

A/C guy just left..$275..but at least we know it works now. I just saw the weather report..they say it's going to be in the 60's this weekend..weirdest weather evah..

Have a good day everyone!

DeeDee said...

the artists apparently did take some things for granted...so the piece obviously isn't going to charm everyone....

I just finished watching the 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables...you memba I told yall it was available on DVD??

It was overwhelming....just fantastic...moving.....if you love Les Miz you really should see this.

They have the original London cast that you would be familiar with if you saw it there or bought the cast recording....the newest cast...and 2 more from in between over the twenty five years....

I'm not going to spoil it but after the finale starting with the curtain call there are surprises that will simply bow you over...

The finale leaves you in tears and what happens next brings you back to mesmerized again.....

I will share this...there are 4 Valjeans starting with the original...singing "Bring Him Home"...and it is one of the most powerful and gorgeous serenades of voice...harmony and orchestra that I have ever heard.....

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee~ oh how I loved Les Mis~ Fantastic movie~ A little too much French stuff tho~ ijs~

DeeDee said...

on the musical stage...not the movie.

I didn't know there is a movie!?! Based on the musical??

Too much French stuff!?!? WTF!?!? They all have British accents...lq

Speaking of pulling teeth....We are starting with the post holes in the morning at 8am....it was supposed to be in March (first week) but he said he wanted to give it another month...I am beginning to think this teeth thing will never be over....

it will be in a few months though...then my bottom teeth will probably fall out....

Tina~in_ut said...

wtc are you talking about? ur teeth are perfect!

and yes.....TOO MUCH FRENCH STUFF!~ ga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

DeeDee said...

yes...my teeth are perfect...(rolls eye) ....

just one small problem...I don't have any teeth on top...

you must have some of that French stuff in your ears...la cire??

Tina~in_ut said...

non!!

.....hmmmmm....must be why you sound so funny~ and I checked out a more recent picture....ur right....total decay~

(eyes)

DeeDee said...

you have flipped completely out haven't you...?

Tina~in_ut said...

lmbo....not as much as you, baby~

DeeDee said...

yep...over the rainbow...cuckoo...loco....mao bing...gek...meshugeh...

"BABY!!

now stfu....

Tina~in_ut said...

make me~

DeeDee said...

well I am going to bed....u can stay here and babble all you want....

if you make a mess with your drooling...clean it up...

now that is the last word....

Jodi said...

BEBBI - Always good to see your smiling face!!

BARB - Hello pretty lady!

ZONA - I'm glad your a/c is working fine! Enjoy the cooler temps this weekend!

DEE DEE - Love Les Mis!! I'll have to look for that DVD!! Contemplating going to see it in May. I saw it many years ago on the stage and fell in love!! So much better than when I had to read the book in high school!!

TINA - So does this mean you two have kissed and made up?

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee Sorry I didn't pop in earlier. It is a very interesting blog and an interesting exercise in art. What I get out of it is that the Prada products (and those like it) are so artificial and unnecessary and useless in the real world. It puts all the high fashion nonsense in persepective, I think. Their perceived value is artificially maintained.

Just_Lin said...

Tina You are a real beauty today, as you always are.

Just_Lin said...

HOdi/Tim OMG @ poptop. ROFLMAO!

Just_Lin said...

Bebbi Texans like their guns.

Just_Lin said...

Waving at SacBarb and Zona!

Jodi said...

Good morning SLIN!!

Dianne/Denver said...

Good Morning Jodi and J/L and Zona....I think everyone else is sound asleep. I need to be but didn't feel too tired yet.

Hope you have a good day/morning at work, JODI.

J/L: Is your son still living with you?

Have a good sleep (those of you that have yet to go to bed) and good morning, Tina.....night

Jodi said...

Good morning DIANNE - Did you get your song last weekend?

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee~ you can't have the last word if I already went to bed~ now THAT'S the last word~ lq~

Hi Di~ :D

Maureen said...

It looks like the TINA and DEE DEE show is back from hiatus!

Bebbilane said...

Good morning all!

Mo: LOL at the Tina an DeeDee show!!

Hi J/L, Zona, Sacbarb, Jodi, Dianne, Tina and DeeDee..it's Tuesday... woo hoo.