Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

~ The 100/0 Principle ~

by Tina~in_ut
We have a conference for work each year, and since our Seattle conference has been canceled twice, they decided to give us an abbreviated version of some of the training we would have received. The class was called "The Difference." We talked about being "the difference" to our customers and to each other. Quite often our customers want compensation for an actual or perceived wrong and we need to make them feel like they are being heard. Sometimes just a simple "I'm sorry" makes all the difference in the world. It's really unbelievable how many people have a difficult time taking ownership and saying they are sorry.

At the end of the class, we were each given a book and an mp3 player. The mp3 player had one of our own calls recorded on it. We could listen to it and decide for ourselves if we made a difference to our customer. (Let me tell you.....there's nothing worse than listening to yourself!) The book we were given was called The 100/0 Principle. I haven't read it cover to cover, but what I've skimmed is so interesting and something I've actually tried before. The basic principle is, you take full responsibility (the 100) for a relationship, expecting nothing (the zero) in return. The principle applies to those people in your life where the relationships are too important to react automatically or judgmentally. It applies to co-workers, customers, family, and friends. Here are the basic steps:
  • Step 1: Determine what you can do to make the relationship work....then do it. Demonstrate respect and kindness to the other person, whether he/she deserves it or not.
  • Step 2: Do not expect anything in return. Zero, zip, nada. 
  • Step 3: Do not allow anything the other person says or does (no matter how annoying!) to affect you. In other words, don't take the bait. 
  • Step 4: Be persistent with your graciousness and kindness. Often we give up too soon, especially when others don't respond in kind. Remember to expect nothing in return.
Of course, there are some circumstances where The 100/0 Principle does not apply. Examples include situations in which the other person's behavior is intolerable, such as lying, cheating, stealing or committing a crime. In these circumstances, that person's behavior would likely cause you to do the opposite of The 100/0 Principle.

Listening is one of the most direct and powerful means to creating 100/0 relationships. It is also the foundation for great leadership, high-performance teams, and effective organizations. Many, many times at work, I've had to call "irate" passengers back, and when the call was over, I would invariably be asked "how did it go?" Quite often my answer was the same: "Everything is fine. All I did was listen. He just wanted to be heard."

4 Principles of Listening -
  • Listening grants others the power of speaking.
  • Listening is a gift. Be generous with it.
  • What we listen to is more important than what we say.
  • Communication is what is heard, not what is said.
That last one hits home with me. I also listen for what is not said. I used to be the best listener ever. In 7th grade, my teacher called me a sponge. She said that I sit there quietly and listen and take everything in. That all changed when I met my husband's family. In order to be heard, I learned that I had to butt in and interrupt in order to get a word in edgewise. I've had to consciously hold back in conversations since then in order to be an effective listener.

Any of us can do this. The 100/0 Principle is a great gift all of us can give to others, and in doing so, make our world a better place. By implementing The 100/0 Principle, you will make your role in this world infinitely more effective, satisfying, and successful. Can you even imagine what kind of world we'd live in if everyone lived by this principle?

31 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

Good Morning~

whabbear said...

Good morning, Tina!

Hmmmm... I'll have to think about the 100/0 principle!

bonachichi said...

Great blog! Tina, I bet you get some whoppers at work; people spouting off in fits of anger. I'm guessing some of it might be funny.

Hiya Whab!

Happy Monday everyone!

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

Hmmm I guess I am not in that place right now with some relatives. I have been expecting nothing in return and all I get is grief. So Rasssssspppppppberrrrrry to them. Oh and a middle finger too.

I think it is time for my morning meds. And no they won't make me say I'm Sorry!

Lynn D said...

Morning to Tina, Whabby and bonachichi. Waving at everyone else.

iteach said...

Love it Love it!!

iteach said...

I am going to digest more of it when I go home, however, just from skimming I thought of how much of it can be applied to my workplace and personal relationships.

DeeDee said...

or....you can just drop the person like a hot potato....and then gossip about them....

I actually know people who have that modus operandi...

Bebbilane said...

Tina! Good morning, afternoon and good night!!

Great blog! Very informative. I can think of another time when this will not work, when the person is lost in their own addictions. It's nearly impossible to get anything positive from that until the other person takes control of their life. Believe me, I've been there.

That is when the 100 goes to 0 really fast.

I love the blog though, it's so positive and has really good advice. Listening is the key!! :)

Good afternoon Whabby, Bonachichi, DeeDee, LynnD and Jennifer! :)

Bebbilane said...

Sacbarb -from Area 51..lol at the Patti O'furniture..too cute! :)

sacBarb said...

Happy Monday Owls.

Tina, That is a good principal, but sometimes very hard to follow, esp. with some family members, like you said. I have one family member who can be especially difficult. She is NEVER wrong and when she is forced to say she is sorry, it is always sarcastically. Knowing she is never going to change, I had to decide that I would change how I react to her, which is basically not to react. So I guess step applies in this case. I don't take the bait. There is also a surprise benefit for me in that it really pisses her off when I don't take the bait. I know that is mean of me to take joy in that, but....

sacBarb said...

Tina 2, I meant to complement you on your beauty today.

DeeDee, I have dropped someone like a hot potato, and probably gossiped about him. I have no excuse for doing that except that I was very young.

Lynn, Dealing with family can be so challenging. Keep pushing those meds.

Waving wildly to Bear, Bonachichi, Jennifer, Bebbi and all the other Owls. I hope everyone has a good day.

Mary/MI said...

Good blog Tina, I'm sorry I texted you during your meeting lol

My parents gave of themselves with out asking anything in return and were rewarded 10 fold. Sadly too many people now a days don't do for others because they think that person can't return the favor, or like Mr Jim, just don't get it.
That is one of my biggest peeves about him. He will plow out our driveway and not even notice our neighbor across the road needs his done too. If he had a side business of plumbing I bet he would be there in a heartbeat lol!!
I can be patient and turn the other cheek to pretty much anyone once and maybe twice, but if that person is deceiving,mean,hurtful etc, they get zero, zilch tolerance from me!! If they come clean or apologize, I can be very forgiving.. until they f**k up lol!
I am not perfect and can be stubborn, what you see is what I am, just me Mary :)

Bebbilane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bebbilane said...

My delete..sorry...

Mary: I am like you!! :)

bonachichi said...

I meet a lot of snot-heads. I usually just let them have their say then walk away. What do they matter to me?

Am I the only person on the blog who finds the idea of Tina keeping her mouth shut and taking crap from someone absolutely hilarious?

Zona said...

TINA: Good Afternoon to you Gorgeous, and to the handsome doctor you rode in on! ;D

I think if you are living by The Golden Rule..you are pretty much following 'The 100/0 Principle' Step 1 is an easy one for me to follow..it's Steps 2 and 3 that I have some problems with..but I'm working on them and getting better. As for Step 4..I rarely give up on anyone..even when it's apparent I should. I don't know why I'm like that..it's not a good way to be sometimes..because it can lead to me really getting hurt. There's a time when you have to protect yourself and your feelings and walk away. It's not an easy thing to do, and I admire those that can do it.

Gotta run..Mr Z is leaving for work and I want to walk him to the door and all that mushy stuff..lol..bbiab...

DeeDee said...

I admire people who can diffuse a volatile situation and have a person who was unhappy walk away happy...

Personally I'd rather give em the "have you lost your mind" look and poke em in the eyes with my index and second fingers....guess thats why I don't deal with the public...

Dianne/Denver said...

Hi Everyone>>>>

Really good blog, TINA. Everything that book is saying is so true just hard to follow sometimes. I hope that I do try to follow the Golden Rule.

SACBARB: I went for another hot stone massage today and it was happy at the end but not like you were meaning (I don't think).

Is this crazy or what....my head and hand STILL hurt from my fall on 2/6. I have been s-rayed, scanned, checked and they are still very painful.

CHICHI I can just see TINA sitting there like a quiet mouse......not!! Now that makes me think of that rat song again. I rather be Backin Up!

Howdy BEBBI, BEAR, LYNN, AND ZONA (smooching), JENNIFER AND DEEDEE.

MARY: I am pretty much like you also but I am not very stubborn (sometimes I wish I was more).

iteach said...

Can anyone send me a step by step procedure on how to send a video to Tina from Youtube? I use to know, can't remember. Then I tried to yesterday and I failed. Thank you.

Tina~in_ut said...

Bear~ have you thought yet?~

ChiChi~ sometimes it's my co-workers who are the drama queens~ this morning we had one....she was I'Ming me one minute about some nonsense and crying with the other Tina the next minute about something else~

LynnD~ you really made me laugh this morning~ How are those meds going?~

Jennifer~ When ur done digesting let me know~ I sent you an e-mail~

Bebbi~ so true about addictions....same with truly evil people, too~

SacBarb~ lol@the joy you got out of that~ so true that it's very hard not to take the bait~

Mary~ I knew there was a reason I love you~ :D

Zona~ ewwwwwww....no mushy stuff in front of the kids!!!~

Di~ maybe you should just try to follow your brother's example~ I've yet to find anything about him or his views that are wrong~ :)~

Tina~in_ut said...

O M G ! ! ! ! ! So the daughter is upstairs happy cuz I let her drive me home from school (something like 15 miles). She's upstairs cleaning the bathrooms, blasting her music, and SINGING AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS!!!!!!~

Just_Lin said...

Tina. Great blog today and you look lovely.

Tina~in_ut said...

lol...thanks J/L~

Zona said...

MO is having trouble getting onto the blog and asked me to post this for her..

Good Evening Feathered Friends!

I am having computer issues, so ZONA was kind enough to post this for me!

TINA...great blog! I was talking with a nurse today about a very similar subject! It was kinda eerie when I read this! Spending so much of my life in retail and training, this is soooo true. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!! You are a captive audience, so you are subjected to hear more then you usually want to!

ZONA...LOL@ and the doctor TINA rode in on!!

I'm not going to impose on ZONA too much, so I will cut this short!

Waving to all and wishing you sweet dreams.

bonachichi said...

Okay, who locked Mo out?

I like to listen to people and not say anything. After they complete a thought you just sit there, respectfully paying attention. They feel the need for some reason, to say more. It's most uncomfortable for them. A fun little hobby for me.

Zona said...

YAY!! MO got 25! :D

TINA: Kids? I looked all over the place..do you know something I don't? ;)

I bet your daughter drove great! I think I know where she learned to blast music and sing at the top of her lungs..ijs.. ;)

Waving HI to DI, BARB, JMMARY, LYNN, JENNIFER, BEBBI, BEAR, BONACHI, J/LIN and DEEDEE.

The Event is on..have a great night everyone!

Maureen said...

Phew...I de-fragmented and here I am!!!

ZONA...thanks so very much for posting for me. I thought I was stuck in the ozone layer forever!!

ITEACH...it's nice to see that name again!

Let's see if this really posts...

Maureen said...

I had switched my avatar in honor of Spring...and we are expecting lake effect SNOW...after the thunderstorm we are getting tomorrow night!

whabbear said...

Tina: Yeah, and I kind of agree with quite of few of the reactions... it kind of has the feel of a doormat to me. I think it should be the default way to act when it comes to strangers, but close friends and family members... not so sure!

Just_Lin said...

Bonach. I do believe that's an effective tool when questioning a suspect.