Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Who Wants Salad For Lunch?

by Shirley

Are the fruits and vegetables you buy clean enough to eat?

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) studied 100,000 produce pesticide reports from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to create a list of 49 of the dirtiest and cleanest produce.
So before you hit the grocery store, see how some of your favorite fruits and veggies measured up.
Did one of your favorites make the list? Don't worry, the EWG recommends purchasing organic or locally grown varieties, which can lower pesticide intake by 80% versus conventionally grown produce.

Celery
This stalky vegetable tops the dirty list. Research showed that a single celery stalk had 13 pesticides, while, on the whole, celery contained as many as 67 pesticides.
Chemicals fester on this vegetable as it has no protective skin and its stems cup inward, making it difficult to wash the entire surface of the stalk. It’s not easy to find locally grown celery, so if you like this crunchy veggie, go organic.
Peaches
Peaches are laced with 67 different chemicals, placing it second on the list of most contaminated fruits and vegetables. They have soft fuzzy skin, a delicate structure, and high susceptibility to most pests, causing them to sprayed more frequently.
Strawberries
This red, juicy fruit has a soft, seedy skin, allowing easier absorption of pesticides. Research showed that strawberries contained 53 pesticides. Try to buy strawberries at a local farmer’s market for a sweet dessert.
Apples
Apples are high-maintenance fruit, needing many pesticides to stave off mold, pests, and diseases. The EWG found 47 different kinds of pesticides on apples, and while produce washes can help remove some of the residue, they’re not 100% effective.
Blueberries (domestic)
These antioxidant-rich berries have a thin layer of skin that allows chemicals to more easily contaminate the fruit. Domestic blueberries were loaded with 13 pesticides on a single sample, according to the EWG. Imported blueberries also made the list at No. 14 for the dirtiest produce.
Sweet bell pepper
This crunchy, yet thin-skinned, vegetable is highly susceptible to pesticides. According to the EWG, sweet bell peppers showed traces of 63 types of pesticides. While some pesticides can be washed away, many still remain.
Spinach, kale, collard greens
These leafy green vegetables are on the list, with spinach loaded with 45 different kinds of pesticides and kale 57.
In 2006, Dole recalled bagged baby spinach after multiple E. coli illnesses associated with the vegetable made their way across the country.

Grapes (imported)
These tiny fruit have extremely thin skins, allowing for easy absorption of pesticides. And think twice before buying imported wine. The grapes that go into the wine could be coming from vineyards that use too many pesticides.
Potatoes
Have you ever indulged in a potato skin at your favorite restaurant? You might want to think twice before eating the skin. This spud was highly laced with pesticides—36, according to the EWG—that are needed to prevent pests and diseases.
Cherries
Cherries, like blueberries, strawberries, and peaches, have a thin coating of skin—often not enough to protect the fruit from harmful pesticides.
Research showed cherries grown in the U.S. had three times the amount of pesticides as imported cherries. Because cherries contain ellagic acid, an antioxidant that neutralizes carcinogens, it’s worthwhile to buy organic or seek imported ones.

31 comments:

DeeDee said...

BAM!!

DeeDee said...

well I guess Subway is just in time with their

"BIG ASS SANDWICH"

bonachichi said...

It's all well and good that vegetables are bad for people. Everything else is. I am eagerly awaiting the day when we can have our daily nutrition capsules, doled out by the USA government at a cost of $1,000 per, conveniently withheld from our paychecks.

This would eliminate that pesky problem of choice and everybody would be not eating the same things, so there would be no discrimination.

bonachichi said...

Where the hell did that come from? Shirley, that's interesting info about dirty veggies. Even organic is "dirty". It just means they fertilize with shit instead of chemicals.

So if you go organic, make sure you wash the shit off.

Hiya DeeDee. Nice arse.

Bebbilane said...

Happy Bam DeeDee..you look fabulous today. Love the cute and sweet avator... ha!

Well, Shirley, it was so ironic that when I read that I was eating a cucumber. and now a stalk of celery. :) Great informative article!

Bebbilane said...

Hi bonachichi! Yes, that pill would be a great alleviater of choice and obesity and addiction to food..but there would be a mad outburst by Yum Brands, McDonalds, Arbys, In and Out, and all the restaurants. Food, whether we like it or not makes a lot of money for a lot of people.

DeeDee said...

and lest we forget corn!!

covered with leaves so NO pesky pesticides enter your orifice...

CORN!!...its the new white meat!

I do have to apologize for the cream style corn though...it is messy and hard to grow.....it runs everywhere and takes a lot more plants just to fill a can....yuk...

We do have a machine in development that will slurppp the cream style corn right out of the husk with no spillage....

that'll be grrreat...

Lynn D said...

Morning glories!

Pesticides made me the woman I am today. Drugged to the gills.

Just_Lin said...

Shirley Thanks for the blog but I will continue to eat my veggies, anyway (although, not out of anyone's butt, thank you very much). I remember a long time ago, reading about how many aphids, insect legs, rat hairs, etc., are acceptable to have in our food and still be considered okay. I made special note of how many were allowed in Hershey chocolate bars as I love those. Didn't make me stop eating them.

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee Congrats on being first. It was really nice of you to bring lunch for everyone but I think I'll pass this time.

Just_Lin said...

Bonach Yes, shit. The old fashioned way.

Just_Lin said...

Bebbi You are so good! Never would I be eating cucumber and celery for lunch or even as a snack.

Just_Lin said...

LynnD ROFLMAO!

Bebbilane said...

DeeDee: LOL ! Cream style.. messy..omg..too funny. I didn't know it came off the cob that way. Wow, such a nice thing to learn.lol

J/L: Thanks! I happen to love eating veggies like that so it's easy for me. I also enjoy water, a lot of people don't like it or have to have it flavored.

Bebbilane said...

Hi Lynn! I didn't see your comment stuck in there...that is very funny!! :)

DeeDee said...

yeah...I like to flavor my water with bourbon....

DeeDee said...

J/L...what lunch? I was just talking about corn...oh...OOOOH!!!

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Lynn D said...

Evening Glories!

Raise your glasses for a toast! To baby Eva and everyone who has prayed for her and wished her well!

We have the results of the EEG Her tests are within Acceptable Range and there No Specific Abnormalities!

We can now wean her off of the phenobarbital and she will have a follow up in 3 months with the neurologist. Wahoooooo!


She did have her physical therapy appt. today and the muscles on her right side are a little weak but they gave us exercises to do with her to strengthen them.

More and More progress every day!

Maureen said...

Well, I guess with all those pesticides I don't have to worry about getting worms or other bugs in my system!

SHIRLEY..thanks for the info!

DEE DEE...is there a $5 foot long version of your BIG ASS sandwich? And can I make that a value meal? I don't really care for Subway, but I can say I have never been offered that kind of bun!! THANK HEAVENS!!

LYNN...HAPPY DANCE!! HAPPY DANCE!! EVA is one strong little lady! Takes after a certain grandmother I know!! {{{HUGS}}}

Has anyone here ever had a colonoscopy? Joanne has been drinking that nasty drink since 3 and taken 2 stool softeners and nothing is coming out. I don't think that is good thing.

Waving a tired wing at everyone.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Hey Owls! I finished another 11 hour day, and I am going to bed. I forgot I had sent this in. I saw it on Yahoo and thought you guys might find it interesting. Thanks for the comments!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

As far as corn goes, I don't think it does a damn thing for you! It looks the same when it comes out as when it went in. Whoever invented it has a few screws loose if you ask me!
Same with blueberry. A waste of money for both of them!!!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Nighty night Owls
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DeeDee said...

Shirley! I will have you know that corn is an essential part of a well balanced diet!!

Corn is rich in phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, iron and selenium. It also has small amounts of potassium...

Corn has Vitamin B (Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate). It has traces of Vitamin A and Vitamin E.

Corn is good for skin care, boosting nervous system, digestion, and maintaining low cholesterol levels and it provides necessary calories for daily metabolism of the body....

glare...

DeeDee said...

Maureen...yes it comes in a foot long size...but you don't wanna see that...however I did enjoy seeing the "meatball" sandwich with that bun...

No value combos...sorry.

Mary/MI said...

DeeDee,I am so glad I didn't see your Avatar before eating!!

Bebbi, I just finished eating a big 'ol salad lol!!
I scrub all my fruits and veggies with a little warm soap & water, even bananas, even my grapes and avocados. I am a stickler that way.

LynnD, "drugged to the gills" lmao!!

Mo, I have never had one but I am sure she should be doing the back yard trots by now!! Squeeze her!!!

Shirley,
Hooray for little Eva!!

Bonachi,pass the pill please, I'm still hungary! Do they have one for wine??

Justlin, I feel the same way about my Chocolate Turtle Candy!

Shirley eeeewwww!!! "it looks the same when it comes out as when it went in."!!

sacBarb said...

Happy Tuesday Owls.

I think I am better off not knowing what is on/in my food. Now I don't want to eat veggies or fruit. I'm sure I'll get over it though.

DeeDee, Where DO you find these avatars?

Mo, I have had a colonoscopy and I spent the night in the bathroom from 15 minutes after I started drinking the 'stuff.'

Lynn, Great news about Eva.

DeeDee said...

SacBarb...hi..

I find them on the internet....I usually can find something "blog appropriate"....lol....depending on the subject....

however if I can't...I use something that I have seen and saved that is gross or shocking....and something that will give others ammo to be funny....like J/L's remark about continuing to eat her veggies but not out of anyones butt....lol

Thats a QOTD if I ever saw one!!

Just my little contribution....no need to thank me...I enjoy it...and the comments they inspire...

Just_Lin said...

LynnD Such wonderful news about Eva! Yay!!!

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee Your avatars are never boring, that's for sure.

Just_Lin said...

Mary My fruits and veggies get a relatively quick rinse under the faucet. Not the bananas. They are "come as you are".

whabbear said...

What a Debbie Downer blog! LOL! Nothing is immune, and these are all supposed to be things that are good for you!