Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Growing Up Without A Cell Phone!

by Dianne

If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!  

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy!  I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!  

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet.  If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!  

There was no email!!  We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!   Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there!  Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us.  As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes!  If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!  There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car..  We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby!  Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting!  If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!!  Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!!  And then there's TEXTING.  Yeah, right.  Please!  You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was!  It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!!  You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics!  We had the Atari 2600!  With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'.  Your screen guy was a little square!  You actually had to use your imagination!!!  And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever!  And you could never win.  The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died!  Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing!  You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!  NO REMOTES!!!  Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning.  Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves.  If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove!  Imagine that!    
And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long.  Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!  

And car seats - oh, please!  Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on.  If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!  

See!  That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten!  You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd

44 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

Good Morning~

Tina~in_ut said...

lol....cute blog, Di~ thanks for sending it~

Maureen said...

Good moaning TINA! R U at work? Say hey to Janice!

DIANNE...great blog! I work with a few 25 - 26 year olds and they think I am from another planet when I mention things like rotary phones, cassettes or 8-tracks! Even vinyl records! And typewriters, expecially manual ones are some unknown things to them! I would bet they have no idea who Dewie Decimal is or his system! And if the screen goes blank before they hand me my change they don't have a clue how much to give back!

Thanks for making me feel old!! :/

Maureen said...

Thursday...66*
Friday...61*
Saturday...35*...Brrrrrr. May warm up to the 40's. I want Thursday back

Maureen said...

From Area 51...thanks SAC BARB and HODI

Tina~in_ut said...

MoJo~ I'm at work.....but Janice has been on vacation for over a week~

Maureen said...

Did she travel somewhere fun?

iteach said...

This blog speaks the truth, good one.

At times I would like to give up all this new technology and go back to simplicity. However, then I would have doctors practing medicine like they did 30 years ago and I don't want that! I have often thought of having the best of both world by getting a camper with the kids. Then we could have our simple life at times and then come back to our highly gadget fast paced life.

Okay, so like I'm rambling and getting out of cleaning the toliet. Have a good day everyone!

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

I see the moaner is back in first!

Dianne I loved this! My favorite was

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

And I beg to differ with this one

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

We had remotes in our house! It was called the kids.

Lynn D said...

Morning Mo, Tina and Jennifer!

So Janice actually escaped from Tina and is out having fun! Yay for Janice I hope she did not have to chew her leg off to get away. LOL

Mo I miss the old card catalogs. Weird I know but there was something so comforting about them. sigh

Tina~in_ut said...

Mo~ Janice's daughter came down from Idaho, then Janice went to see her son in Georgia.

Jennifer~ I love camping~ We don't bring any electronics~ So fun getting dirty~

LynnD~ Years ago when I did Lunch duty at hubby's school, one of the dads gave me permission to smack his kid if he got out of line....just as long as i let the dad know about it! Now that kid is playing in the March Madness tournament for Gonzaga! ....and no....i never smacked him~ (but I wanted to!)

Lynn D said...

Tina LOL!

Just_Lin said...

Tina. You are beautiful today but do you feel nekkid with no Janice beside you?

Just_Lin said...

LynnD and Mo. You mean there's no card catalogs any more? Crap! I liked those. I understood them. Can you tell I haven't been in a library in many years?

Just_Lin said...

jennifer. We need self-cleaning toilets. Shoot, they've made a car that can parallel park itself.

Just_Lin said...

Dianne. Thanks for the blog today. So many advancement in technology are wonderous but sometimes it feels like machines are doing everything for us, including being imaginative.

Just_Lin said...

Try to look at the full moon tonight. The moon will be its closest to earth than its been in 18 years. I think rain clouds will be in the way here.

iteach said...

Just had the life scared out of me. Came back from the beauty school to find a big ass fire truck rigt in front of my drive way with an ambulance approaching loudly behind me. Thought my house was on fire, parked my van right in the neighbor's yard and came running out of the van.

Turned out to be for my neighbor for carbon monoxide. They are fine just a little pukey.

DeeDee said...

Jennifer!

Isn't it a relief....like when the cops lights come on and then he goes around you!!?? hahahaha...omg..

I saw a fender bender last night...and I mean a broken headlight...but there were 3 ambulances!!

The EMT's were assisting 3 guys on the ground with boards and neck braces and a 4th was still in the car waiting to be extracted!!! I had tears running down my face from laughing and pointing....

A FENDER BENDER I TELL YOU!! The driver and passenger of the Mercedes that bumped them were fine...an older white couple....

I got so tickled at those idiots all laid out on the ground holding their necks and groaning....

Goddamn ne'er-do-well's....

sacBarb said...

OMG, Dianne, That is HI-larious. Reading through each one made me think of things those of us who are waaaay over 30 didn't have like:

not only did callers get a busy signal when they called, but some of us had party lines. For those of you who don't know what that is, two or more families shared the same phone line, even though we each had our own phone number, and when a person from one family was on a call, a person from the other family could pick up the phone and listen to the whole conversation, just as if it was an extension phone like we have now. Imagine that!

sacBarb said...

Tina, Is #1 son playing a sport ar Gonzaga? BTW, you are very handsome today!

sacBarb said...

Mo, LOL @ Dewie Decimal and his system. I miss him too.

sacBarb said...

Jennifer, Camping sounds like fun for the kids.

sacBarb said...

Lynn, That's exactly what I thought when I read that we had no remotes. In fact, my Hubby always said that's why we had kids, so they could change the channel.

sacBarb said...

J/L, I bet there is a very pricey self cleaning toilet somewhere. After all, they have them with seat warmers, and tushy washers and dryers. I have even seen one that is motion controlled and the toilet seat lid lifts when you enter the room, sorta like greeting you. "Hello, do you need to pee or poop?"

sacBarb said...

DeeDee, Was there also a lawyer on the scene?

sacBarb said...

Tina, I'm watching the Zags v BYU and rooting loudly for the Zags. San Diego just beat Temple. Yayyyyyy!!!!

Dianne/Denver said...

Hi Everyone.....

I just came from taking myself to the movies. I went to see Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConaughey. OMG-=-can I just say how hot hot he is in the movie and in life too. It was a good movie with a good story to it. My husband went with my SIL to go see the LA movie so I just decided not so sit home. Ate all the popcorn myself too!

I thought you would all be able to relate somehow to this blog. I don't think there were even TV Guides when I was a kid.....heck, there was hardly TV's at one point of my birth! Thanks for all the comments today.

SACBARB: I remember those party lines and how happy we were when they finally went away. I think it rang different for each party so you would know it was for your house.

TINA: You are lovely today but Matthew is even cuter than Patrick tonight!!!!

Guess I will go see what I can watch on the TV since I am home alone.

Have a good night everyone.

Zona said...

Goooood Evennnning!

DIANNE: I'm over 50 and I think that was VERY funny!! Ya know though..I wouldn't trade growing up when I did for all of the cell phones, computers, calculators or video games in the world. Well..I might trade for a calculator..ijs.. ;D

TINA: I kinda know what a Zig-zag is..but what's a Zag?

MO: Do you remember the microfiche at the library..that was even a little too advanced for me back then..lol!! So..seen any antelopes or wildcats lately.. ;) SWAK!

JENNIFER: I love camping!! Well..at least the tent part.. ;)

LYNN: I was the only one of my siblings to get spanked. When I was older and asked my mom why..she said it was because I was too dumb to run away from her..LOL!! :D

J/LIN: I think I'll go howl at the moon tonight and see what happens.. ;D

SACBARB: You mean there are no more busy signals?? :D :D :D

Dianne/Denver said...

ZONA: don't even get me started on ur busy signals

Maureen said...

OMG...I was just catching up and something jumped out at me...my post at 10:07...eXpecially! I axe you, what in the heck is eXpecially? LOL!!! Even having spell check is useless if you don't bother to use it!!

JENNIFER...it would have shaved 10 years off my life, pulling up to that.

DEE DEE...the scenario with the cops and lights ablazing behind me happened last night to me! I knoew I wasn't speeding or anything but my heart skipped a few beats...until it went past me!

JUST LIN...i miss those drawers, too. And the little squares of paper and tiny pencils that sat on top!

SAC BARB...we had a party line when we first moved back to Cleveland.

Zona said...

Mr Z and I saw "Battle: Los Angeles" yesterday. Eh..it was ok. I felt like I was in the middle of a video game..like Call Of Duty or something. Lots of shooting, lots of blowing things up..lots of noise.

He and I made a deal though..if I went to see the movie he wanted to see..next week we would see "Lincoln Lawyer" which stars Matthew McConaughey..yummmy..I can't wait!

DIANNE: You saw it! I'm glad to hear it was really good..although I would go anyway just to see Matthew's Oscar worthy smile and dimples..and that voice..omg..I just love him! Now there's a dream!! :D

Have a good night everyone!

Maureen said...

DIANNE...I second that!!!

ZONA...If I had a nickle for every busy signal I got when I called you, I would be RICH!!!!! And no antelopes or wild cats!!

Microfisch was cool! And remember the mimeograph machines? Oh and keypunch machines? My calculator was a paper and pencil! And when calculators finally appeared on the scene they were EXPENSIVE!! Now you can get basic ones at the Dollar Store!

Bebbilane said...

Hello everyone...

Dianne: Great blog!!

I hope everyone is having a great day! :) The supermoon is super fun.

Tina~in_ut said...

oh my hell....I took a 10-key class in college~ can you even imagine that now?

SO SAD!!! The zags lost to byu~ :(

Hope Wisconsin won~

Maureen said...

Do yourselves a favor...take a look at the beautiful Supermoon...gorgeous.

Hi BEBBI!

Hi TUNA!

Tina~in_ut said...

can't see it Mo~ SOMEONE, who shall be nameless and lives in CA sent me rain!!!!!!!!!~

Good night~ :D

sacBarb said...

Tina, So sorry the Zags lost. I was yelling like crazy, but it didn't help. Also, sorry for the rain. It's still raining here so you don't have ours, and the wind is blowing up a gale. I've lost electricity twice so I should probably turn off the comp.

Good night and sweet dreams to you all.

Just_Lin said...

Mo. My mom, brother, and I all stood out on the front lawn this evening to look at the spectacular moon. Totally cool!

Just_Lin said...

Tina. No rain here yet but I expect it will be here by morning. I don't think I sent rain to you but if I did, sorry. ;)

Just_Lin said...

Sweet dreams, HOoters!

Jodi said...

Good morning HOoters!!

DIANNE - I agree with LYNN....WE were the "remote" for Dad!! I remember our first "clicker"...and it was just that "click" to turn on and it only had an up and down button for the channels.

Sorry to hit and run, but I went to a fun St. Patty's party at a classmate's house yesterday. More corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, cake balls (yummy!!!), and of course some beer!! By the time I got home I basically just passed out ;)

TINA - Sorry about the Zags :( But Wisconsin won....we're going to the sweet 16 baby ♥

Jodi said...

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday ♥

Tina~in_ut said...

well that dang rain turned to snow.....can't believe it cuz it's been so warm lately~

I'm so pooped~ Went to a bar with a group of people last night to watch the game~ I'm too old to be out late!~ AND IT WASN'T EVEN LATE, by my old standards~ ugh~