Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2009

"Am I Crazy, or is Everyone Else?"

by Bonacci

One job I’ve done is to provide ground support for car rallies. Europe is big on these, which are events where people with lots of money meet then drive to a destination via checkpoints, for no good reason at all. I’m told the inspiration for them was a movie called Cannonball Run, but I’ve never seen the movie so I don’t know. The routes are planned and permission is given by the countries where the cars will be driving. Ground support means we ride along in some ho-hum vehicle and make ourselves available to solve any problems that might come up. Once in a while we get to ride in the nice cars. Just for fun.

The year I’m writing about started in London. I’m always hired by several people so I work for 4 or 5 teams. Our first checkpoint was the Frankfurt airport in Germany, where the cars and people would be flown to the next checkpoint. Each car was given GPS devices called Co-Pilots, which provided real-time updates on each device’s position. The world could log in to the internet and track any rally car they wanted to.

Everything was wonderful. Our Co-Pilots seemed to know exactly how to get us to the euro tunnel, aka the Chunnel, so we relaxed. The Co-Pilot got us to the loading station that would take us under the English Channel and into France. Then Something Happened. There was a problem with one of the two Porsches in our group. It was brand-spanking new, bought in the U.S. and shipped to England where it cleared customs with no problem. France didn’t agree. A “gentleman” I’ve since named FiFi LePew looked at the car and said one word: “NO!”, and waved us away. There was something wrong with the license plate. Some expert Europeans told us stupid Americans what we needed to do. Buy tape and crayons. Since I was the “technical advisor” for the group, we did. We figured we had nothing to lose when the license plate looked like something a 3 year-old would make. Back to the euro tunnel.

It is an entirely unfortunate coincidence that FiFi LePew was still on duty when we tried to get access to the euro tunnel the 2nd time. He turned the brightest shade of red I’ve ever seen on a person and informed us we’d insulted not only him, but all of France. We were taken to a room and presented with documents (in French) that we were told we had to sign or be arrested. I couldn’t translate the entire document, but could tell that we were basically agreeing that 1) we were bad, 2) we’d attempted to commit a crime against France and 3) we wouldn’t try to enter France with contraband (e.g. a brand new Porsche).

Plan B. A ferry from a place called Harwich to another place called Cuxhaven. Now if you know me, you know not to trust me to navigate anywhere, even if the path is lit with flashing arrows. I will get lost. It’s a fact. Disorientation is contagious and can be passed from human to machine, which is why our GPS unit directed us to one of the seediest areas of England. We were on a street with speed bumps in low-profile cars. This means you have to pretty much stop in order to keep from bottoming out when you go over each speed bump. Then we saw people. Not nice people, but a group of gangster-looking people coming our way. In the middle of the night, part of a caravan consisting of 5 ridiculously expensive cars, lost and unarmed except for a spoon. We had sports cars, we could outrun them. VROOOMMM! SPEEDBUMP! ERRRRCH! Thump-thump. VROOOMMM! SPEEDBUMP! ERRRRCH! Thump-thump. To Hell with it. VROOOMMM! THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK.

Harwich: The ferry to Cuxhaven. Cuxhaven happens to be in Germany. We went to check in for the ferry crossing and were taken to a little room by a man wearing a distinctly military uniform. German Homeland Security, actually. This was one of those times when you’re sure what’s happening to you is just a bad dream. Little FiFi LePew had put an alert out on us. Not us really. The damn car. We were told sternly that we were bad (we already learned this in France) and that if we tried to leave GB with contraband (the damn car), we would be considered a threat to national security. Clearly, the new Porsche was staying in England. We all got pretty stamps on our passports saying we’d been detained by Homeland Security. They should have just wrapped turbans around our heads and strapped fake dynamite to us. It would have been less trouble.

Without going into details, we got a legal, non-contraband car, drove the Porsche to a dealer’s lot in England, which unwillingly took care of the car after we threw the keys into the showroom and left for the ferry again. We finally made it to Germany!

40 hours after our first attempt to leave London, we arrived at the Frankfurt airport in Germany. Checkpoint 1. We all boarded a passenger plane and left the cars (about 120 of them) to be loaded by the rally ground crew onto a cargo plane. I was asleep before we left the ground. We landed in Istanbul and were taken to a hotel. Our cars were supposed to be unloaded at a nearby airfield while the rally drivers had a party. I bathed, slept, then caught a ride to the airfield to check out the equipment in the cars I was responsible for. I had a PDA and was texting to anyone who happened to be out there.

3:12 a.m. Sitting on a bench waiting for the cars. It’s cold.

3:39 a.m. Where are the cars? Some dog’s laying on my feet. Feels kinda warm.

4:23 a.m. Left foot’s asleep. Afraid to move the dog. What happened to the cars?

4:59 a.m. Still no cars. Dog finally left. Am I in the right place?

5:40 a.m. Feel like an idiot. Waiting for imaginary cars.

6:17 a.m. Gotta pee. Pls send a ride. Still no cars.

6:48 a.m. Headed back. No F-ing cars! WTF??

I don’t know much about Turkey but they’re amazing magicians. They managed to disappear an entire plane full of 120 cars. Poof! Gone! It’s not like the pilot’s going to pull over to the side of the sky for a nap. How do you lose an entire plane??? It took 10 hours to find it. In Greece.

After Greece it became clear that the new governments of some countries weren’t ready for the likes of us, so everyone respectfully withdrew. No sense wreaking havoc on countries recovering from war. Each time I work something like this, I walk away thinking I’ve now seen everything. I’m always wrong. This all took place over the course of about 3 days. It used to take me 3 years to do this much. I see the same zest for life here at the nest. You all aren’t just living, you’re living out loud.

So there you have it. And if I ever see FiFi LePew again with his nasal French disdain, I want to tell him to stick his finger up his nose so his brains don’t fall out.

As for that pretty stamp from German Homeland Security on my passport, it’s given me a new experience. Full body cavity searches. I’ve gotten to where I just drop ‘em and spread ‘em. A real travel treat.

83 comments:

Lynn D said...

Oh you scrishy!!! Congrats on first! LOL

scirish said...

Yippee!!! Gonna get coffee and read..

scirish said...

LOL!! Morning Lynndeeee!

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

Watch out everyone Scrishy is moving fast this morning!

Bonacci is this your first blog? I think it is! Congrats on the blog cherry popping!

I laughed out loud what a fun story! Though I don't think I would have fallen for the crayons and paper cosmetic fix! That just had trouble written all over it!

Funny how there are FiFi LePew's in every country! Rules first by Gosh or off with your clothes!

Off to hit the coffee will be back in a bit.

scirish said...

Bonacci....I had heard about these rallies and they always sounded like so much FUN! I am now rid of that silly notion. I do believe the act of murder would have entered my mind especially when confronted by FiFi LePew the second time!

night.owls.sb said...

Morning.. Lynn and Scirish..

Lynnd..

You are right its...

Bonacci's first blog here on the nest, so a big ole congrats to Bonacci and a "clap clap"

night.owls.sb said...

Scirish..

You just skidded right into first..

Congrats..

Lynn..

My goodness.. so close..

scirish said...

Carol..We're giving Bonacci the "clap"...twice?? I don't think you're gonna get many blog submissions if that's the reward...ijs

night.owls.sb said...

Bonacci...

Never ever did I hear of these rallies.. I guess cause I am not rich.. LOL.. Sounds interesting tho, I think you have to be a kinda go with the flow kinda person to either participate or be part of ground support.. Loved that you named the frenchman Fifi LePew.. And if I was taken in a room in Europe and asked to sign papers.. let me tell ya, I would have been shitting my pants.. I am a scaredee cat.. LOL ..

Great blog, thanks for sharing.. Hope you stay in the states for a while.. :O)

night.owls.sb said...

Scirish..

LMAO.. Ok..clap twice..

Still laughing..

Can't breath..

OK, I am better..

:O)

Lynn D said...

Morning Carol!

Scrishy I propose the STD award! Two Claps up to that!

Dianne/Denver said...

Good morning congrats on first blog bonacci and very interesting. Will bbl to comment

Dianne/Denver said...

Morning carol, lynn and scirish. I was trying to be in top ten for once as I don't usually see this side of noon often.

Lynn D said...

Popping back in. Dianne I hope your mouth is feeling better this morning! Though I have to wonder as you are up so early. Sending (((Hugs)))

Seems I have to go see the Dentist next week as I have cracked a front tooth! I guess dental problems are going around like the swine flu on the nest.

bonachichi said...

Good morning LynnD, Carol, Diane, scrish and everyone flying by later!

Thank you for the clap. I think.

These rallies are normally a combination of nightmarish fun and strange people doing strange things while whilst driving strange cars.

See, Americans aren't all that interested in car rallies. There was one in the U.S. in May from L.Z. to Miami. It'll be in the U.S. next year, but a different route. Nobody cares.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

bonachichi said...

Oops. L.A. to Miami. Butterfingers.

Dianne/Denver said...

LYNN, u guessed it not a great sleep. As I remember, u love going to the dentist as much as I do. I can go but why do I always end up going back sooner than the next appt? Thanks for the hugs-they feel nice this AM
Good morning BOnacci--u have the most interesting life. I'm more like Carol, I would be pooping my pants

ibebold said...

ZGood Morning OWLETTES!!!!

Scrishy.... congrats on 1st...

LynnD... so close!!!

Morning to Scrishy... Lynnd... Carol... Dianne... and Bonacci...


Dianne... hope you are feeling better... but I fear you are up early cause you are hurting...
hope not...

I have seen the movie Cannonball Run.. it is really funny... but your version doesn't sound so fun... well it does ... but not if it is really happeneing to you...

waving all who land today...
have a great day!!!

Maureen said...

Wow, some reward for writing a blog...getting the clap...and for the first time writer!!
Clap on..Clap off

BONACCI...grats on having your blog cherry popped! What an adventurous life you live. You are braver then I am! I certainly would have been pooping in my pants AND need the defibrilators! To hell with the pretty stamp!

SCIRISH...gratz on first! How are things going with your mom? Did you talk to her doc about med changes or the anti-depressents? {{HUGS}}

DIANNE...so sorry you are still in so much pain.

LYNN...I hope your dental appointment goes better then Dianne's did.

CAROL...yep, I'm a scaredy cat, too!

Maureen said...

IBB...we were writing at the same time! Good morning! How's the bear situation by you today? BTW, I kept forgetting to mention I enjoyed your Relay pics. Great job your team did. Kudos

Maureen said...

TV UPDATE...

...nothing to report. Still didn't hook up the converter! I am liking the silence. I even was asleep by midnight or so. Didn't make all the way thru the night, but close!

ibebold said...

Morning Mo... Thanks.... we had a lot of fun doing it also... that makes it even better...

The bears are just a summer staple anymore... we have sightings every night... the other nite while it was still light out...

ibebold said...

Mo..Did you take the Tylenol PM... they work for me!!!!

bonachichi said...

Mo, given the choice, I'd have opted for not having the pretty stamp.

The rallies ARE fun. You just can't let anything shock you. And yes, going with the flow is a requirement.

Maureen said...

IBB..yea, I took the Tylenol PM. I went 4 hours with it, peed, then another 3 hours, had a charlie horse, then another 3 hours! Now, I feel like I am in a fog and have a headache. Time for some Tylenol AM!

Maureen said...

BONACCI...can you, um for lack of a better word, lie and get a new passport? Then the pretty stamp wont be there. Maybe say it fell in the fireplace or you washed it?

Lynn D said...

Morning Mo and Ibb!

Mo I have no words of wisdom for the friend that is taking advantage. The only thing I can offer is that you be very busy when they decide to take the next trip. I think the real issue is that they aren't appreciating you for being there for them.

Well kids I am getting ready to run away! I have decided to go to the family reunion tomorrow but am going to do something I have never done before and be a little selfish. Even tho the reunion is only about 45 minutes from my house I have decided to go down sometime today and rent a motel room all to myself. Mr. Lynn D is not going, actually never goes to these things, an agreement we made several years ago. I don't have to go to his family events if I choose not toeither. So it is all good.

Anyway I told him that I was taking off and getting my room where I can watch what I want on TV, read, eat what I want etc.... All by myself. A mental health break. I may even live dangerously and go shopping as the reunion is held in the town with the outlet mall.

So I will be out of touch until Monday. Time for a brain rest and emotional girding of the loins to deal with all of the issues I am sure the family will be facing tomorrow.

I will see you all Monday, have a fantastic weekend!

Maureen said...

LYNN...I think that your get-away sounds divine! Enjoy yourself and try not to let the events of tomorrow hit you too hard. When you feel low, just think of Ritchie and your other gorgeous grandkids and watch the smile adorn your lovely face.
Travel safe.
Oh, and if you pass a Wendy's on your drive stop and get a Frostyccino...yummmmmers!
{{hugs}}

ibebold said...

LynnD... I too think that sounds wonderful.... ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn D said...

Ok have 1/2 my bag packed and some odds and ends to do around here. Then I am on my way!

Mo for some reason I keep singing "All by myself, I wanna be all by myself!" LOL

bonachichi said...

Mo, about a new passport, I did that. The stamped one got "lost". But U.S. passports are digital, so it's part of my permanent record. Some countries still do it manually and I don't have much trouble there.

Also, through no fault of my own, I've landed on some government "watch" lists. Germany being one of them, and Albania another after I told the head guy there I couldn't wait to leave his stinking country.

Just_Lin said...

scirish Congrats on #1 today. I LMAO @ your clap! LOL

Dianne I have dental issues I am procrastinating about. I HATE going to the dentist.

LynnD I totally understand you wanting to be by yourself. A Calif. amusement park uses the word "daycation" in their ads. That's what you need, a daycation.

Bonacci That was a wonderful blog. Thank you for writing it. Did anyone ever figure out exactly what the objection was to that one car? I would not like being on anyone's watch list. It's enough of a pain in the butt at the airports as it is, just having to take shoes off, let alone having to take everything off.

Waving at Carol, IBB, and MO!

My oldest kitty has a recheck appointment today. I sure don't enjoy having to poke her with needles everyday but she does seem to be feeling better.

ibebold said...

Hello Just Lin...Hope the re-check for your kitty goes well... I don't think I would like poking my kitty with needles either,... but we do what we have to....
have a good day...

Just_Lin said...

Thanks, IBB. She will be 19 in August. The other one is 17 1/2. Well, I better get moving. I'm still sitting here in my robe. : )

BBL

Mary/MI said...

scirish, congrats on 1st!!

LynnD,You missed it by one tiny blond hair lol! Enjoy your special day! Sounds like fun (the alone part) to me!

Bonacci, Loved your blog! I was right there with you! I would love that kind of adventure even the scary parts. Better than any drug you could take. what an upper lol!!
I hope you write more.

Waving to IBB,Carol,Just_Lynn,Mo,Diane and anyone else who pops in.
I am off to the big city. I am out of printer ink, and have to get gross-eries. Have a great week end all!!!

Maureen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to TINA's twins!!

MARY...enjoy the big city!

JUST LIN...I hope the kitty's check up goes well. Ya want me to cat sit? LOL!!!

bonachichi said...

JustLin; We never knew exactly why French customs didn't like the car. It was purchased in the U.S. new, then shipped directly to London where it passed their customs. You can usually travel pretty freely between the EC (European Currency) countries. I think little FiFi was just having a bad day.

Watch lists are a pain. I always get at least a hand search of my luggage. If that's all I get, I'm happy.

What's with everyone's teeth? Is this what they mean when they say body parts start falling off?

Bebbilane said...

Congrats on first Scrishy Minishy!

Congrats on first blog bonacci. Wow, Your life sounds so interesting! I don't know if I could take that much adventure..lol.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday. :)

Bebbilane said...

Dianne, Hello! I am sorry to hear about the dental stuff..ugh..very much, NOT a favorite for me either.

Tina~in_ut said...

I think I'm crazy.....or going crazy, anyway~

night.owls.sb said...

Dianne...
You are always in my top ten.. :O)

IBB..
Yes I saw cannonball run, that is when Burt Renyolds was a hottie..

Mo...
Clap on, Clap off, something like Wax on, Wax off.. Tylenol AM..lol

Lynn..
Good for you, it is well deserved.. enjoy your night to yourself, and I hope tomorrow goes well..

night.owls.sb said...

Tina.. honey...

you are crazy.. but that is ok, cause I love crazy..

Tina~in_ut said...

Bonacci~ great blog.....i don't think i'd want to be on anyone's watch list....that would just suck!~ and sorry about the clap~ It happens to the best of us~

Scirish~ congrats on first~

LynnD~ you always ALWAYS make me laugh~

Thanks for the b-day wishes for my brats here and on myspace....we are on party #2~ ...first year we tried this.....his friends spent the night last night and hers are here now.....if we were playing the drinking game and had a shot every time someone said the word "like", the Mr and I would be freaking smashed right now!!!!~

Tina~in_ut said...

lol Carol~ oh God.....they are singing upstairs now~

night.owls.sb said...

Bebbi...

I so think you are the adventurous, just look at all the steps you take.. in my book that is damn adventurous..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

Tina..

The clap.. lol.

night.owls.sb said...

Should I sing to..

ok, I will..

♪♪ do re me fa so la tee do ♪♪

How did I do.. ?????

Just_Lin said...

Tina OMG! Two overnight parties back to back? I salute you.! I would have wanted a week in between, at least.

Just_Lin said...

50

Just_Lin said...

Shirley Are you watching? Mark that down please.

Tina~in_ut said...

Carol~ ur a fabu singer~

J/L~ I wanted it over with asap.....my oldest has a b-day in 10 days~

bonachichi said...

Tins, you are more woman than me. Or maybe just nuckin' futs. If you want to preserve what's left of your sanity, start that drinking game NOW!

bonachichi said...

I am still evaluating this stupid game. I have never been one to play games on a computer. Too much else to do. So I have made a game of my own:

If the Pretend Little People piss me off, they get banished to fishing for the rest of their lives. No parole in my little world.

I dropped a Pretend Kid through a tree. Just to see what happened.

The chemistry lab is now my personal amusement park. I've blown it up several times, and picked on one scientist I find annoying. He's vomited, burped green clouds, itched and passed out. Then I made some crazy juice and made everyone drink it. I wondered what would happen if I made the Chief drink it. So I went ahead and did that too.

Maybe I'm a terrible person for doing this to my little pretend people.

night.owls.sb said...

Bonacci...

Geez, whatever happen to the days of Pac Man???

night.owls.sb said...

Why thank you Tina.. ya know "like" I think so to..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

I just watched the last hr of Dark Knight.. not really liking it, glad I did not watch the whole thing.. Maybe I just don't get.. Heath Ledger was brilliant tho..

night.owls.sb said...

Now I need a snack..

"like" some ice cream..

BRB

bonachichi said...

Carole, I never liked Pac Man either. When I worked in aerospace, everyone played some flight simulator game. I never got the hang of it. I'd try to land on an aircraft carrier and just go boing boing splash.

bonachichi said...

Um, so Tina; Like, have you started like, playing that awesome drinking game? I like, heard it could be like, fun.

Tina~in_ut said...

Like oh mah God! I'm so like over my like daughter~ She like goes nuts when she like has friends ovah!~

Bonnacci~ I can't drink! I'll remember everything that happens tonight!~ :(

Carol~ wanna drink for me? :D

Tina~in_ut said...

hubby brought home Gran Torino...don't really like eastwood movies....but I guess it beats listening to the girls all night~

Tina~in_ut said...

63~

Tina~in_ut said...

64~

Tina~in_ut said...

i was born in 65~

Tina~in_ut said...

66~

Tina~in_ut said...

67~

Tina~in_ut said...

68~

Tina~in_ut said...

69~

Tina~in_ut said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~

night.owls.sb said...

I was born in 60, does that count??

night.owls.sb said...

Tina...

Sure.. only if it can be unsweeted iced tea from Dunkin Donuts.. Don't bother with Lipton ice tea, I don't like it.. two damn sweet..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

Tina..

Like really, your 69, like it was the totally bomb.. Like I so knew you could do it..

night.owls.sb said...

Mo.

Remember what I said in area 51.. Sunday is a much better day for me for you to hook up your converter..

:O)

night.owls.sb said...

I just finished my snack.. and it was Delish..

bonachichi said...

Tina, I'm sure there are plenty of owls who will stand in for you in that drinking game.

I'm convinced that aliens do some kind of mind meld to teenagers. An experiment to understand why the parents don't just lock them out for 10 years or so.

Just_Lin said...

Tina Another birthday in only 10 days. Boy, you and Mr. Tina really get down to business in September, don't you?

Bonacci I've never played Sims so I don't know what the game is like. Is there a goal to accomplish with the little people or is it just like playing dolls?

Maureen said...

CAROL...I am programming the tv now...and it is Sunday! So far the words NO SIGNAL were very clear! I redid the cables, etc and it is scanning now. Maybe I will have tv soon! I will report back!

BONACCI...this is mean, but, everytime you mention the little people I think of the Roloffs!! So bad!

We had our regularly scheduled get together with the high school friends tonight. After dinner we played SkipBo. I never played before. It was really fun! Maybe because we played 4 rounds and I won 2 of them! ;)~

TINA...Like the parties, like sound like so much fun!

Maureen said...

well, I get 1 channel! But damn is it clear!

Just_Lin said...

MO The way I understand it, your tv needs to be on channel 3, I think. You should get alot more than one channel. Btw, LOL @ the Roloffs. I was thinking that, too.

Maureen said...

JUST LIN...thanks! I will try that. The station that I am getting is running Boston Legal now and then Matlock, so I am ok with the one channel at this point!

bonachichi said...

JustLin; The game isn't The Sims, but it's similar. The goal is to open a door, I think. To do that, there are many tasks that have to be accomplished.

It's a total time-sucker. You can leave it running unattended, but you have to check in to make sure all the Pretend People are okay and doing their jobs. I took this job for $5k thinking it would be easy. For the time it's taking, I should have asked for double that.

I mean no offense to the Roloff family or any others. To me, the "people" in this simulation are Little Pretend People Who Live in My Computer.

Just_Lin said...

MO Just like with cable or satellite dish, I do believe your TV has to remain on channel 3 and you change channels through the box only with the remote.

Bonacci I totally enjoy the Roloff's show. There was no disrespect intended and I know there wasn't by you, either.

Tina~in_ut said...

J/L~ Oct 5th~ :)~ All my kids were early~

Mo~ we love to play Skipbo....usually play when we go camping or when the inlaws are here~ Good luck with ur tv~

Bonacci~ I'm sure there were owls playing that game with or without my girls~ ....where is Bear? :)~

We watched Gran Torino.....omg....it was so good...Clint Eastwood's character reminded me of a cross between my dad and a friend of mine~ See it if you haven't~ Goodnight all~