Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Tips you can't live without. You're welcome!

by Shirley


1. Line the bottom of your refrigerator’s crisper drawer with paper towels. They’ll absorb the excess moisture that causes vegetables to rot.

2. To keep herbs tasting fresh for up to a month, store whole bunches, washed and sealed in plastic bags, in the freezer. When you need them, they’ll be easier to chop, and they’ll defrost the minute they hit a hot pan.

3. A bay leaf slipped into a container of flour, pasta, or rice will help repel bugs.

4. Stop cheese from drying out by spreading butter or margarine on the cut sides to seal in moisture. This is most effective with hard cheeses sealed in wax.

5. When radishes, celery, or carrots have lost their crunch, simply pop them in a bowl of iced water along with a slice of raw potato and watch the limp vegetables freshen up right before your eyes.

6. Avoid separating bananas until you plan to eat them – they spoil less quickly in a bunch.

7. Put rice in your saltshaker to stop the salt from hardening. The rice absorbs condensation that can cause clumps.

8. Stock up on butter when it’s on sale – you can store it in the freezer for up to six months. Pack the butter in an airtight container, so it doesn’t take on the flavor of whatever else you’re freezing.

9. In order to make cottage cheese or sour cream last longer, place the container upside down in the fridge. Inverting the tub creates a vacuum that inhibits the growth of bacteria that causes food to spoil.

10. Believe it or not, honey is the only nonperishable food substance, so don’t get rid of the stuff if it crystallizes or becomes cloudy. Microwave on medium heat, in 30-second increments, to make honey clear again.

11. Prevent extra cooked pasta from hardening by stashing it in a sealed plastic bag and refrigerating. When you’re ready to serve, throw the pasta in boiling water for a few seconds to heat and restore moisture.

12. Keeping brown sugar in the freezer will stop it from hardening. But if you already have hardened sugar on your shelf, soften it by sealing in a bag with a slice of bread – or by microwaving on high for 30 seconds.

13. If you only need a few drops of lemon juice, avoid cutting the lemon in half – it will dry out quickly. Instead, puncture the fruit with a metal skewer and squeeze out exactly what you require.

14. If you’re unsure of an egg’s freshness, see how it behaves in a cup of water: Fresh eggs sink; bad ones float.

34 comments:

DeeDee said...

BAM!!

DeeDee said...

I have a question... Why would you want to keep sugar if it is already brown?

whabbear said...

Dee Dee: I don't know. It's a question philosophers have debated for centuries.

whabbear said...

Well, kids, its the third and last day of International Bear Rendezvous (IBR), so after tennis we'll be heading to the Lone Star for their farewell beer bust.

And we'll raise a toast to this, the 17 and last IBR. Attendance at bear conventions (called bear runs) are down because it's so easy to hook up online now.

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee My, aren't you striking today? How do you manage to look so good so early in the day. I need at a least a couple of hours of "attitude adjustment time".

Just_Lin said...

Bear It's too bad that the internet is taking the place of real social interaction.

Just_Lin said...

Shirley Thanks for the helpful hints. I just happen to have some wimpy celery so maybe I'll try out the ice water trick. Slathering butter or margarine all over a slab of cheese just seems yucky.

Zona said...

Good Afternoon!

SHIRLEY: I like these tips. I hadn't heard most of them before so I really learned something! yay!

Hmmmm..cold water unlimps veggies..funny how it affects other things..ijs.. ;)

DEEDEE: Very nice BAMMING this morning..you're in great form.. :D

BEAR: Please tell me you're writing a 'Thanks For the Memories' parody to sing at the Lone Star tonight..and then please send me a copy.. :)...:D

J/LIN: I need all day..lol.. ;)

For two days my security has thrown me out of Blogger saying it's an 'Unsafe Site'..sheesh..I hope this publishes..Ok..here we go..

Zona said...

Yippeee!! :)

Mary/MI said...

Has anybody seen that frickin groundhog?? My SonIL is gunning for him lol!
We got super dumped on last night. My Hubby has plowed 3 times and the neighbor came to his rescue this mourning! We have 2 drives and they were both drifted shut. We were lucky in that we were spared the ice storm our neighboring counties got.

LOL @ Whabby & DeeDee on the brown sugar!

Juslin, it takes me a lot longer to look & act "presentable!!

Zona said...

From 51:

SHIRLEY: I'm sorry to hear about your sister and niece's accident..I'm glad they weren't hurt.

J/LIN: Are you feeling any better?

TINA: Love NASCAR..Usher, not so much. When I saw the title of the blog I thought it was that song by Bobby Darin..boy am I getting old..

Mary/MI said...

Zona, glad you made it back :)
Is it warm there?

Shirley, forgot to thank you for the tips. I am going to try the "dipping in ice" thing on Mr Mary tonight. I will tell him you suggested it. Do I have to strap a carrot to "it" first??

Zona said...

MARY: He's here..laying out by the pool..getting a suntan.. ;)

Sorry it hasn't let up there..I wish I could send you some of this warm air. We had rain and snow up in the high country this weekend..but we are going to be back in the 70's for the rest of the week..near 80 next week..

Mary/MI said...

Zona *%^#@^% please whisper that in his ear!!

I think you should build a couple guest houses on your property for those of us who are weather challenged!!

DeeDee said...

lol at Mary....try it without the carrot first...

That is funnn-eeeee!!!

I can just picture it...."here honey come stand by the cabinet and dunk yer junk!!! Watch the CARROT!!"

Mary/MI said...

BBL I have some experimenting to do...

sacBarb said...

Happy President's Day Owls.

Shirley, My Mom always put a bay leaf in her flour and also in her pasta canister so I do too. It really works. I also put one in my rice. I also put butter and margarine in the freezer. I will not be putting butter on my cheese, however. Even if it does work, ewwwww!

Thanks for all the other good tips.

sacBarb said...

DeeDee, BAM back at ya.

Bear, Ditto what J/L said. The Internet has taken he personal touch out of meeting and communicating with others. However, I do love that we have the Internet so we can communicate here in the nest.

J/L, I've seen you after you first wake up and your 'attitude' was just fine.

Zona,I had the same thought as you about the cold water effect on veggies vs 'other' things.

Mary, let us know how that experiment works out for you.

Maureen said...

SHIRLEY...thanks for the tips! I knew a lot of them, but not about the nanners. I usually pick the ones I want and not buy a bunch...but I may start buying the bunch from now on.

I also didn't know about the sour cream / cottage cheese. I did know that if you smooth the top before putting back in the fridge you won't get that watery puddle in the container.

Maureen said...

DEE DEE...looks like your high beams are on!

JUST LIN...I can't imagine you looking anything but stunning. BTW, how are you feeling?

WHABBY...but without the internet we wouldn't know each other!

ZONA...good call about the ice water!!

MARY...I am SOOOO over winter. We had the freezing rain, sleet and ice shit last night and by the drive home tonight it was snowing like a mo-fo. If your sil finds the groundhog, have him wallop him for me, too!! How did your experiment go?

SACBARB...I agree, slathering butter on cheese sounds gross!!

DIANNE...you passed the test!

Mary/MI said...

Diane, where'd yah go? Are you "testing" the carrot thingy too??

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Evening Owls! Sorry I can't stay and play, but I'm on my way to bed. Didn't get home until 7 and I have a splitting headach. I just took 3 tylenol and almost choked on them. I did manage to get 1 down, the other two were spit across the kitchen!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

DeeDee why aren't you wearing the designer dress I found for you?

Maureen said...

SHIRLEY...WAITTTT...How's your sister? Hope your headache goes away.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Glad you all liked my tips. I knew you would like the ice water for the limp vegetables one!

I think someone needs to go to the naughty mat...Mary!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Spoke with my sister this evening and she sounded tired. Hasn't seen a neurologist yet. Does have anti seizure medication...Lamotriging. She is very worried about losing her license. She wanted me to thank Tina and everyone else who is praying for her.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Maureen I hope my headache goes away too. We did about 35 tax returns today, and for a small, two person office that is quite a few. Although we have done as many as 48 in one day. It's all the paper work that kills you. Doing the tax return on the computer is simple, it's all the papers you have to fill out before and after. Oh well I'm going to bed and start again 6:30 tomorrow.

Nighty night Owls and thanks for the comments!

Mary/MI said...

Nite Shirley! BTW,The Mr didn't think too much of the icy water!
the carrot didn't do a thing for him either 'cept to turn the little feller orange!

Just_Lin said...

I don't even want to ask what carrot juice is.

Maureen said...

JUST LIN...OMG...LMAO@carrot juice!

Mary/MI said...

Justlin!! I have saved a place for you on the naughty mat!!

Just_Lin said...

MO and Mary LOL I'll be contemplating the wonderful world of carrots as I sit on the naughty mat.

Just_Lin said...

...and cucumbers and zucchinis.

Maureen said...

zucchinis, cucumbers and carrots...OH MY!