Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

A Farm Kid Joins the Marines

by Zona


Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late… Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on "route marches," which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown.

They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges They come in boxes…

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once... He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds and he's 6'8" and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.






Your loving daughter,

Alice

29 comments:

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

I was sure that was going to say "your loving daughter DeeDee" ha!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Morning Zona! That was very cute! Thanks!

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

That was cute. :) Kind of like walking 5 miles in the snow to go to school.

Well it looks like Eva might be released today or at some point this weekend.

Tina tell your Mom all of her prayers are gratefully accepted as I am sure we will need them in the coming weeks of adjustment to Eva's needs. :)

Mary and Dianne and J/L My daughter is recovering very well now that the staples have been removed from her incision we had a scary few days when it looked like an infection was trying to take hold.

Morning Shirley!

goldie said...

Good Morning Hooters!

Hi Shirley and Lynn!

Zona, chuckled through the whole thing then laughed out loud at the ending.

Lynn, so happy to hear that things are looking up for Eva and your daughter.

Hope everyone has a great weekend- heading off to IL on Sunday for the visitation, funeral on Monday. I am so not looking forward to this-I just know that I am going to look like I was stung by a hundred bees from all the crying... :(

Dianne/Denver said...

SHIRLEY: You are so lovely and extra beautiful today as first!!! I do wish the Avatar was that bright sunshine one you use sometimes.

LYNN: I am so happy to hear your daughter is doing better and that Eva may be coming home this weekend....yea!!!!

ZONA: I think this blog is really cute and made me laugh at the end. Thanks for submitting it for us all to read.

I am once again up earlier than I planned so some reason (no cats or dogs or birds to wake me) so I guess I will head back to bed.

Dianne/Denver said...

Hi GOLDIE; I think we were typing at the same time. I am sorry for the loss of your friend and what you and the family have ahead of you. My thoughts are with all of you.

bonachichi said...

That was well worth reading, Zona. Entertaining all the way through, then the zinger at the end. I'm still laughing.

Good morning to the early birds, and "what took you so long?" to the later-comers.

goldie said...

thanks Dianne. My problem is when others cry, so do I. So every tearing eye is going to do me in. I am a sympathy crier, and I will have enough tears for my friend as is!

The weather is supposed to be really cold too. After the funeral we are going to the cemetary and hubby and his sister are NOT looking forward to that. Will be a military funeral and my hubby still can't listen to taps after his brothers funeral 38 years ago!

Mary/MI said...

Shirley, that extra 26 minutes before posting gave you an extra beauty edge :)

Zona, congrats on being first & last in area 51! Walking today?
I wasn't prepared for the ending to your blog. Too funny!!

I just finished 10 minutes on my elliptical. Hoda & Kathy Lee are doing their whole show doing exercises on machines. I will do an hr in increments! These old bones can't take non stop work outs!

LynnD, Thank you for the updates on your daughter and Eva. Good vibes & prayers still going their way.

Goldie {{hugs}}. I go to a few military funerals every year with my VFW Ladies Aux. The "Taps" get to me every time!

Diane WAKE UP!!!

Bonach,gmornin!

Dianne/Denver said...

Ok miss mary, I was first and last in area 51 and second today!!!!

Dianne/Denver said...

Okay maybe fourth

Bebbilane said...

Shirley: So pretty! yay! :)

Zona: LOL at that ending of that..too funny. Loved that one! :)

Goldie: So sorry for your loss. I am a sympathy cryer too.. I hope you have safe travels. xo

Good day to Lynn, Bonachichi, Mary, Dianne...hope everyone's day is going well.

Bebbilane said...

Mary: I did an hour at lunch on the elliptical..600 calories! woo hoo. :) Still, I need to lose from all the Christmas eating..lol. I will do it though.

Just_Lin said...

Shirley Congrats on being first today. You are looking even more lovely than usual. I'm blinded by your smile. ;)

Just_Lin said...

Zona That was a very funny blog. Thank you. How's your weather these days?

Just_Lin said...

LynnD So glad that Eva will be able to come home soon. And what a relief that your daughter was able to fight getting an infection. Good news all the way around.

Just_Lin said...

Goldie Funerals are so difficult. I'm so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

Just_Lin said...

Dianne I have solved the problem of needing to go back to bed. I stay there in the first place. ;) And how is the weather in Denver these days?

Just_Lin said...

Bonach What took me so long? See my comment to Dianne.

Just_Lin said...

Mary Good job on the elipical. I've never tried one. I'm sure I couldn't do a constant hour, either.

Just_Lin said...

Bebbi Do you not eat lunch during your lunch break? I couldn't do that. I'd start feeling ill in the afternoon. Good job on the exercising, though.

Mary/MI said...

Shirley, remember your slow post card from Greece?
Well, my Son just got his today!! Only 3 months late lol!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the card! It had a bent corner like it had been stuck somewhere.

Diane...5 & 6!!

DeeDee said...

cute blog! Thank goodness I have the right shoes.....camo!!

Maureen said...

SHIRLEY...You're breathtakingly beautiful today.

LYNN...what wonderful news to finally get to take that beautiful bundle of joy home! I'm glad Leah is doing better, too.
{{{HUGS}}}

ZONA...that was hilarious! I sure didn't expect the ending!!

Waving to all!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Maureen I will have you know I am "breathtakingly beautiful" EVERY day! But thank you all for noticing today.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

DeeDee do you ever wear flip flops?

Dianne/Denver said...

She borrows Tinas crocs sometimes

Mary/MI said...

I hear tell Tina has every color in Crocsville! Even the cute furry ones :)

Zona said...

Thank you for the comments on the blog today..I'm glad you liked it!

LYNN: Wonderful news about Eva! I'm glad both she and your daughter are doing better. I hope you are finding time to relax and breathe a little. :)

TINA: Very glad to hear the good news about your dad!

GOLDIE: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend and her family.

Waving a weary wing at SHIRLEY, DI, MO, MARY, DEEDEE, BEBBI, J/LIN and BONACHI!

It's been a long week..going to turn in soon..Sweet dreams everyone!