Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

SHE'S GROWING UP

by Dianne



I know I talk about my grandchildren a lot but I wanted to write this blog about my oldest one. It is my granddaughter that turned 11 in October. She is in 5th grade and is excited because Middle School is just around the corner. It is looking like so much fun to her. First of all, her sister will still be in grade school for one more year, so she will get to be "on her own"; second, she is getting to pick out some of her classes; third, it means she is just a little closer to those teenage years that she absolutely cannot wait for.....

I get such a laugh out of listening and talking to her. She thinks she is so grown up, but is still a little girl inside. This child still leaves notes for the Tooth Fairy, went to see Santa, and is sure the Easter Bunny will be here soon. She is pretty innocent on the meaning of so many words and says them without a blink of an eye. The hard part is that when I hear her, I have to not laugh and be serious and then ask her what a particular word means to see just how much she knows about whatever she is saying. I would like to bore you with a couple of recent stories:

My GD has a big Barbie bus and was passing it on to a younger child. We talked about getting it ready and she casually told me that she had to straighten out the dolls in the bus because they looked like a bunch of "whores". I gulped a couple of times and asked her to repeat what she had said and she did. I noticed that neither she nor her sister were paying much attention to just what had been said. I then asked her what "whores" meant. She didn't miss a beat and looked at me like, once again, I am old and don't know much. "Nana, like those people on Oprah. You know the ones where their house is a mess and people have to come in and help them clean it?" I said, "Oh, you mean hoarders?" "Yes, that's what I said...whores...hoarders...it's the same thing." Now I really had to try not to laugh ...I was dying inside.

She has also liked a boy in her class for a while. Now please understand that they don't speak to each other as they are both too shy. She told me she "broke up" with him yesterday. She had her sister (my other GD) tell him. I asked her why she broke up with him. She kept telling me that he was crazy and I would just have to be at school to see it. I kept trying to find out if he said crazy things, hopped on one foot, made funny faces...just what did he do that was so bad. She finally (with that deep "she's old" sigh) said, "Nana, he acts like he is all that and a bag of chips!"

Ok, one more story. ..... my daughter and family were leaving a rodeo event a couple of weeks ago and apparently the car next to them was so close they couldn't get in car. My SIL said something to my granddaughter so she had to get in her sister's door. When the younger GD wanted to know why she was getting in that door my GD proceeded to say, "because that dickhead parked too close to the car." After my daughter pulled herself off the ground from fainting, she asked where she heard that word and that it wasn't a nice word. Well...Daddy told her and she was just repeating it to her sister. Thank God she didn't go to school repeating it. They then came here for dinner and I was hearing the story and getting after my SIL for his mouth and my GD wanted to know what it meant. My daughter told her to ask her dad since he was the one using it. Naturally, he wouldn't tell her so I told her in the most simple way possible and then it was done. GRRR...I had to get after daddy on that one, but can you imagine hearing your child say that so innocently? I was just picturing a desk too close to hers at school and saying that to someone. Heck, she would be in the principals office and not even know why!!!

This granddaughter was my first of five grandchildren. She was the only one for almost two years. We have quite a connection and have since the minute she was born. While I went through all my dental work...she thought her jaw hurt. Her Mom even had to take her to the doctor for a sore throat and she told him about her jaw. He wanted to know when it started hurting and she asked her mom whenNana went to the dentist.

As you can tell by this blog...my grandchildren make my heart melt. I can have the absolute worst day and talk to one of them and hear a story and everything is okay. I know I am probably the typical grandmother that is boring everyone with my stories but I just wanted to share them. Come on, I will listen to any of your stories too about anyone!! For some reason I can't remember my kids being this adorable, growing up this fast or being this perfect...I wonder why that is.......

34 comments:

Maureen said...

Great blog DIANNE! I can hear the pride you have for your grand kids in your written words. Too precious!

Maureen said...

MAUREEN...congrats on 1st.

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

Weeeellll the prettiest of them all got first! Congrats Mo!

Dianne I love the stories but in a way they are bitter sweet. You hope and pray they don't lose all of their innocence but you know that it will happen soon when they enter those teen years they are so in a hurry to get to.

LOL at the Whore story. I know way to many whore's by that definition. Lord don't let that child come to my house.

Grandchildren are our reward for the crap we had to put up with raising our own. Heck I swoon when Ritchie does anything. Oh by the way he peed for the first time in his new potty chair! Makes me happy yet sad at the same time. The baby is growing up.

Great Blog!

DeeDee said...

good morning dickheads!!!!! ur lookin' like a bunch of whores!! LMAO


This is just too cute.....thanks for the laughter and warm thoughts of how wonderful kids are.....

Gosh I needed to smile.....you're so lucky Dianne.....

I am going to Huntsville today....to see my friends son....

have a great day ladies....and don't forget those Junipers!! lol

Zona said...

Gooood Morrrnnning!

DIANNE: "Out of the mouths of babes.." I love hearing stories about your grandkids. They are bright, sweet and funny as heck! They definitely have your sense of humor! I love how their innocence shines through in the things they say..it's just precious.

My mom always wanted grandkids..she used to tell us how she was going to spoil them rotten. Unfortunately, none of us ever had children..not for lack of trying mind you! I used to tell her that Remmy was her granddog. She would cross her arms and say "I am not that dog's grandmother!" Of course, later, when she thought I wasn't listening I'd hear her say "Remmy..come see gramma"! I had always told my folks I was going to name my children after them. So when I got Remmy..his middle name became James, after my dad. My mom would just roll her eyes when I called him. Little does she know..she and Nikki have the same middle name! Wait..was that just thunder I heard? ;)

Great blog today DIANNE..you have wonderful grandchildren, and they have an awesome Nana!

Zona said...

MO!! Congrats on FIRST! I hope the snow has stopped!

LYNN: I can't believe how quickly my nieces and nephews grew up. They have kids of their own now..and it just floors me.

DEEDEE: Juniper on the way!

sacBarb said...

Happy Saturday Owls.

Dianne, I am so jealous of grandparents who (1) have a lot of grandchildren and (2) have a close connection with them, and I love to read stories like the blog you wrote.

I have only one grandson and he will be 19 in April. His mother was completely obsessed with him from the time he was born and did not let anyone, including my son, do much with or for him. She and my son divorced before Josh was two. So, we never really got to bond.

I wish I had stories to tell about funny antics he did, but the truth is I wasn't around him enough to pick up any stories.

The first time I heard this song, it brought tears to my eyes thinking about how fast the time goes when kids are growing up.

Zona said...

Gotta run..tons of errands to do today! I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday! :)

Zona said...

Hi SACBARB..I love that song too..it's so true. My grandmother hovered over my dad that way..he couldn't wait to get out of the house and on his own. Maybe now that your grandson is older, you'll be able to reconnect with him..I hope so!

sacBarb said...

Hi Mo. Good to see you at first. You are missed when you're not here.

Lynn, Yay for Ritchie.

Dee, I would send you a Juniper, but so far I have been successful in resisting the strong pull to IP.

Zona, My youngest son and his wife do not plan to have any kids and their dog is my grand dog too.

Well, Owls, I am no longer a Sweetheart. My reign for Sorority Sweetheart is over and I have to crown a new one today. I don't even get to keep the tiara. :( This year they are having a luncheon instead of a ball, so I have to get ready. Have a good day everyone.

sacBarb said...

Zona, I do see my grandson on holidays and birthdays, but we just don't have that close bond I was hoping we would have. My youngest son's sister-in-law just had a baby in November and I was hoping that would get my DIL's clock ticking, but I just got told last night, that isn't going to happen! Sigh...:(

Dianne/Denver said...

Hi..thanks for the comments on my blog. I hope it wasn't too boring but it still makes me laugh when I read it.

SACBARB: You are losing your crown...sniff sniff. It's like Miss America. Will they give you some goodbye flowers or something?

LYNN: YEA for Ritchie. Going potty is a big deal. Have you given any thought about when you might come to visit him?

Time for the baby shower. I see I am going to have to play those stupid games again.

Lani said...

Good Afternoon - DIANNE - I loved your blog. I love to hear what children have to say....sometimes very funny and at other times actually very wise. I can't even begin to tell you how attached I am to Georgina.
BARB - You will always be a sweetheart.
See you later if my computer allows me.

Zona said...

Honnneys I'm home! ;)

Mr Z and I got all the errands taken care of..yay! There was hardly anyone on the road..because everyone was at Costco! It was a madhouse. I guess the warm temps coaxed a lot of people out of the house!

LANI: My computer has been acting up too..it frustrates the heck out of me. I hope you can get yours fixed soon!

BARB: LANI is right..you'll always be our sweetheart! :)

DIANNE: I hope you get to play the 'taste the baby food' game..ewwww.. ;)

Better go check my farms, and then make dinner..have a nice night!

Tina~in_ut said...

Di~ I love ur stories.....it's kinda fun since I know the girls~ They really are precious~ Keep those stories coming please~

Mo~ Congrats on prettiest~

LynnD~ I feel like hopping in the car and going to see Ritchie for you~ sorta~ :D

DeeDee~ I'm still willing to give you my kids if you want grandkids~ Today there is a special on the girl!!!!! ugh!!!~

Sacky~ Ur still a princess here~

Zona~ Dogs aren't grandchildren! ga!!!!!!!

Lani~ What is Georgina up to now?~

Mary/MI said...

Happy Valentines Eve :)
Mo, glad you were here & #1!!

Diane, I loved your blog! You are so lucky to be so close to your Gr Children. You must mean a lot to them too.I have 6 Gr Children. the two youngest live about 150 miles away. I try to get to their games,recitals,and Holidays. I am close to both of them. They other 4 are from my Husband. They are all grown up and as far as Montana.
We never really had a chance to bond close with them, but we do try to keep in contact.
btw, I always try to escape the baby shower games by being late...never works lol!

Sac, I agree with Tina, you will always be our reining princess!

Lynnd, Yeah for Ritchie!!

Waving at "Juniper DeeDee",Zona & Lani!!

Tina, I'll take her....shoping&traveling!!

Lynn D said...

Evening All!

I don't know what is wrong with me today. Kind of have the blues and I am so tired I fell asleep sitting up on the couch reading. Yikes I am getting old or something.

Barely have the energy to maintain my FB stuff today.

I am taking a week off from the food bank because I am so worn out.

Dianne I have not made plans to go and see Ritchie as his Dad is almost done with school and interviewing for jobs. They may end up back here or in another state, we won't know for a month yet. When they finally get settled then Mr. Lynn D and I will be planning a trip.

Need to go lay down. Waving at everyone.

Lani said...

MO - I'd like to congratulate MO also on her 1st.

LYNN - Richie peeing in the potty chair reminds me of the preview for a movie with the little boy going to pee in the toilet in the showroom.

ZONA - Anytime you would like to name one of your beloved dogs after me I would be honored to be an honorary grandma.

DEE DEE - I hope you aren't going to Huntsville because of yesterday. What a horrible event.

TINA - I still miss EUNICE. Georgina is my playmate. I love to make her laugh, but I am afraid I might have her in training to be the class clown. So I am toning it down a bit. She is almost ready to walk.

Lani said...

Waving back to you sweet MARY.

LYNN - I hope you aren't coming down with something. I hope you perk up.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to attack FB.I haven't been able to get anywhere for days.

night.owls.sb said...

Hello Mo.. Happy 1.. :O)

night.owls.sb said...

Dianne.. I loved all your stories, and was not bored in the least.. Grandchild have that why of pulling
@ your heart strings, I see it in my parents with my nephews.. It so fun to have then around and I think you appreciate them more than your own children, because you are at ease, no worries about this and that like when you were raising your children.. Its just easier.. Life slows down a bit when we get older, that is the reason for grandchildren we one can enjoy them more..

Prefect Blog! Loved it!

Kudos!

night.owls.sb said...

Dianne..

LOL on whores on the bus.. so funny!

night.owls.sb said...

Sacbarb..

You will always be a sweetheart to me, even if you don't have a tiara..

Maureen said...

I have been watching the Olympics. Geeze, these kids are fearless! And Vancouver looks so beautiful. I can see why VIG and TINKA love it so much.

LYNN...I hope you are feeling like your old self soon. I have been feeling that same way for a long while now. Thought is was just winter depression, but I am starting to think it is something more. Who the hell knows.

JUST LIN...I am sorry you are struggling rightnow. I hope things settle down with you and you are doing better soon.

LANI...nice to see you.

TINA...you would never trade the daughter...or the boys...for anything.

BARB...you will always be our Sweetheart. You don't need a tiara to prove it.

ZONA...Glad all our errands are done. Maybe tomorrow you and Mr.Z can have a relaxing day together.

MARY...how was the party? Did your sister have a great time?

I slept so many hours this afternoon, I hope I can sleep tonight.

Hope you all have a good night

Maureen said...

CAROL... were posting at the same time. Hello! How are you?

night.owls.sb said...

Hi Mo..

I am hanging in there.. I has a good day today visiting with friends, I have not seen them in a while.. so it certainly was a fun time..

We still have mounds of snow here.. I am sure you do as well..

Life has been hectic but I am getting thru.. as we all do..

Good to see ya... I have missed you.. I have been a bad friend with not staying in touch, its just the days go by so fast.. and my mind shuts down by 9p.. lol

night.owls.sb said...

Mo...

I have been watching the Olympics to.. and you are so right..

They are so fearless..

Amazing...

Mary/MI said...

Mo, OMG my sister's party!
I had hired a friend of my sister's to use his own Karaoke so we could just relax and have fun. It's a long icky story, but he was unable to do it so we scrambled around and took our equipment. Can you believe we had an equipment malfunction! My Karaoke computer's video card quit working. Here we are miles from home and a room full of people and no karaoke or dj music! I didn't know at the time what was wrong with it so I was plugging and unplugging,tightening cables & cords. I called my son who has been taking classes for internet security and repair. He grabbed his stuff and drove to rescue his Mother!! Right there on the spot he tore the 'puter apart found the problem. Luckily it had a back up do dad and he was able to cobble it up so we could run it! Needless to say he was the hero of the night! After that a good time was had by all!

night.owls.sb said...

Zona..

Sweet comment on your dog naming.. lol on Thunder.. yes I think Carol heard that!

night.owls.sb said...

Mary...

I was just going to type hope the party went well and you posted..

off to read it..

night.owls.sb said...

Mary..

Glad you had a good time.. sounds like fun.. And so glad you got everything fixed.. No music during a Par-tay is bummer.. I am sure there where many bumpen and grinden on the dancefloor..

Fun!

sacBarb said...

Thanks to Di (no flowers, but lots of love), Lani, Zona, Tina, Mary, Carol and Mo for allowing me to be your sweetheart/princess. I'll pretend I have a tiara.

Carol, From A-51 when you wrote that comment about the big hair I didn't know what the heck you were talking about, until I saw the opera singer and immediately I said out loud (to no one) That's what Carol meant! LOL

Lani, How fun that Georgina is almost walking.

Mary, What a wonderful son to come to your rescue like that. You are a lucky Mom.

Tina, Are you living it up until Wednesday?

Zona, Watch out for that thunder...

Good night everyone. Sweet dreams to you all.

Just_Lin said...

MO Congrats on numero uno! Thanks for your kind words. It's family issues and, hopefully, things will work out for the best.

LynnD Yay for Ritchie peeing in his potty chair! Another red letter day!

DeeDee I hope you had a nice visit with your friend's son. It is so good of you to do that for her and for him. I hope you get your junipers.

Zona I hope you couldn't see a family resemblance in Remmy...ijs

SacBarb I think they should let you keep the tiara. You're still a sweetheart, though.

Slani Georgina is sooo cute! Of course you are totally smitten. And isn't it the best to make that baby laugh?

Tina LOL @ a special on the girl!

Mary Kudos to your son for saving the day!

Carol I hope things are calming down for you. Like you, my mind has been shutting down by 9, too. I'm usually such a night owl but lately I find I'm worn out after dinner. Geez!

Dianne Thank you for sharing your granddaughters with us. What cute stories you have! I LMAO @ the dolls looking like a bunch of whores! OMG! How could you keep a straight face? So funny! Btw, I may be calling you sometime soon.

Dianne/Denver said...

JL. Call me anytime please