Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

America's Official Language

by DeeDee
"I'm so sick of people that can't speak English"..."HEY YOU!! You're in the USA!! LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!...."Damn Foreigners".....


Do you know what the official language of the United States is? If you answered English, guess again. But don’t feel bad, the vast majority of people would answer that English is the official language of the United States of America. English is the de facto language since, at this point, it is the most widely spoken language in the nation. But Spanish is catching up with over forty million Hispanics speaking their native language at home, at work, and in their daily lives. 
 
This brings another point: Why is the U.S., an English-speaking country (or so you think), catering not only to the Spanish language, but to many others that you don’t even know about? Because the U.S. as a nation has never declared an official languageMany people have tried it with no success. In 1780, John Adams proposed to the Continental Congress that English should be declared the official language of the United States. His proposal was deemed "undemocratic and a threat to individual liberty.” This type of debate has been going on for years, with people on both sides of the fence. And yet, the issue isn't any closer to a resolution than it was 200 years ago. This doesn’t mean that the individual states have not declared an official language because many already have. Twenty-seven states, to be exact, have officially declared English as their language.   

Let’s not forget that since 1776 we have been—and continue to be—a multilingual nation. Back then, it wasn’t uncommon to hear up to 20 different languages spoken in daily life. Today, those numbers are more staggering. According to U.S. English Inc., an advocacy group that supports declaring English as our official language, 322 languages are spoken in this country, with 24 of those spoken in every state and the District of Columbia. California has the most languages, with 207, while Wyoming has the fewest with 56. So why won’t Congress declare an official language? Because we are a nation of immigrants and these numbers prove it. Because declaring an official language would abridge the rights of individuals with limited English proficiency, individuals who are paying taxes and who are entitled to the same rights as those who speak English.
 

18 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

WHAT? English isn't the official language? good!!!~

Maureen said...

Buenos dias Senora TINA! Como esta?

Tina~in_ut said...

Bien, y tu?

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Good morning Owls (you too Tina and Mo)! Here's how you say "good morning" in a few other languages.

SabaaH el kheer - Egypt
Zibok su' - Taiwan
O wusi - Cameroon
Jo san - China
Goeiemorgen - Netherlands
Hyvää huomenta - Finland
Bonne matinée - Canada
Guten Morgen - Germany
Jó reggelt - Hungary
Naimbag nga bigat - Philippines
Ohayo gozaimasu - Japan
Goy'hap - Brazil
Bon maten - Haiti
Suppabhaatam te - India
Bun di - Switzerland
Guid mornin - Scotland
Sawatdi torn chao - Thailand
Good mornin' eh - Canada

bonachichi said...

Buongiorno, Hooters! DeeDee, what I find interesting about this whole English debate is, Americans want everyone to speak English. I've been in one country where I've not been able to find anyone who speaks English. Just one! So maybe Americans complain about people not speaking English, but we have no problem insisting other countries speak it as well.

That's the pot calling the kettle black. In any language.

Hiya Tina, Mo, Shirley and anyone coming later!

DeeDee said...

good morning....

T-Bird...I have seen it so many times....Americans in foreign countries as tourists furious because the people who live there can't or "won't" speak English...

I love that one..."they won't speak English"...lol

bonachichi said...

Maybe they won't speak English, but that finger is understood by everyone. I see it all the time. Wonder why?

Tina~in_ut said...

I love it when I'm in another country and they refuse to speak English.....I would too if I were them~

DeeDee said...

what a wonderful idea!! What country are you going to Tina!!??

I hear that the mining is good in Chile this time of year...why don't cha try that!?

Or maybe Kiev in the Ukraine!! I hear the radiation levels are almost safe now....

I need to make a run to Iran to stock up on "stoning" stones for the winter...ya never know who is going to need a good stoning...we are making a trip to


SIX FLAGS OVER JESUS

in Oklahoma....prolly need extras for that....

Lynn D said...

Morning Glories!

Well it seems Sarah Palin is not the only one off her meds Deedee. Quit douching with vinegar and put that finger down.

Tina you can like SP, just be careful what wish for.

As far as English as an official language, personally I don't care what language anyone speaks for the most part as long as they give me the correct change.

DeeDee said...

lmao at Lynn D....

sacBarb said...

Happy Labor Day/Monday Owls.

I did not know that the U.S. doesn't have an official language. It makes sense though, because we are the 'melting pot.' However, when two people try to communicate and they don't speak the same language, it is frustrating for each of them. And as for me, I think I am too old to learn a bunch of new languages. My memory bank can't hold what I already know now.

sacBarb said...

Tina, Mother Teresa is moaning in first again and how pretty she is. We will soon be able to put her on all our snail mail, too.

Mo, HUH?

Shirley, Good Morning to you too, eh?

Bonachichi, I take it you re in Italy.

Lynn, LOL @ giving you the right change. Maybe I should at least try to learn how to count in other languages.

Waving a wing to all the other Owls. I hope you are all having a good day.

bonachichi said...

SacBarb, I am back in the States. As of Saturday.

Maureen said...

SHALOM feathered friends!!

Waving a tired wing at all who have flown in!

SACBARB...I was saying good morning to TINA in Espanol!

I don't care if people in other lands don't speak English...it's their country. I spent 3 days in a village in Italy where no one spoke English and it only added to the cultural experience of the trip. I got to use my translation book and we did fine. In fact, thanks to google language tools we made lasting relationships.

I do think if someone chooses to immigrate here, then they should assume the language of the majority...English. Especially if they work in the service industries...like being able to make the right change!!

Zona said...

Hi Everyone!

DEEDEE: I remember AZ passing a law way back in the day that said English was the state's 'official language'. I don't think a country that was basically built on immigration should ever be so narrow minded as to decide that one language is better than others. I do think that people that come here from other countries should try to learn English..just to make things easier for them. My mom told me how proud her grandma, who came from Russia, was to finally be able to speak the language of her adopted country.

I don't understand the "Damn Foreigners" statement at all..we are all 'foreigners' imho.

Btw..the lady in the picture reminds me of my great grandma..babushka, finger gesture and all!! :D

I've had a broken appliance headache for a couple days now. Our washing machine stopped working in mid-cycle at 2am Sunday morning and flooded the garage. What a big fat mess! I was washing whites so the water was full of bleach. I had to take all the clothes and put them in the bathtub and finish washing them there. I felt like Laura freakin' Ingalls! I'm thinking we need to stop working in the garage after midnight on weekends..ijs..

We shopped for a washer yesterday and today..omg..there's a blog in that for sure!! I actually found myself saying "I don't want that new fangled thing..give me something old fashioned!" I have become my mother...lol..

I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day..I'm going to lay down and try to forget about agitators and automatic water fill sensors.. ;)

Have a good night everyone!!

Tina~in_ut said...

I asked my sister what Luis' video was about...this is what she had to say:

He says that "we don't know what tomorrow will bring, so let us not worry about...let us just love each other now." Translation: "I don't want a commitment, baby."

Tina~in_ut said...

okay....don't hate me...but i JUST watched Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?~ That was dang good~ My sister kept trying to get me to watch it....my mom too.....hubby finally did it~