Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"The Mosque" Opinion of a Survivor

by Goldie/M

First let me say that it was an honor for "M" to agree to discuss our debate and share her thoughts about the blog. M (as she will be referred to) told me that she thought the writer of the blog (DeeDee) did a terrific job of expressing her thoughts and the she was quite taken with her style and the way she relayed them.

M told me that she considers herself a survivor of 9/11. Not from the actual physical attacks, but of the emotional attack. The following is from M as told to me. I have done my best to quote accurately and I hope I have done so. M is a soft-spoken woman, but with a fierce personality and opinions. She asked me not to use her real name because of her children. She tries to live a quiet, normal life and she and her children honor 9/11, but she does her best not to make it the focus of their lives. She has given interviews in the past, and invariably someone will try to contact her children and ask them questions as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From the moment it became a realization that my world had just come to a crashing halt, I blamed God." The God I knew and was raised with, the God my Husband was raised with, and the God my children were being raised with. How could MY GOD allow this to happen? A Catholic Church stands across the street from where my husband worked. Shouldn’t God have been there to protect him and all the others who perished that day? Didn’t we go to Mass, and try to live by the laws of church? Allah had attacked and God had let it happen.

The first year after the attack, I was in a fog. Many family members took turns to come stay and helped with the kids. Had they not, I don’t know that I would have lived. I had become so full of misery, hate, and fear that I couldn’t function rationally. I threw my Rosary and God out.

I could not get into a cab if there was a Middle-Eastern man driving. I backed away and took another route if I was walking and someone who "looked" like they were "Muslim" came my way. I literally was shaking during a recital when my daughter was standing next to a child of Middle Eastern decent. An innocent child! I had let fear and irrational behaviors take over. It was at that point which I knew I had to pull myself together and get on with living, for myself, my children and for ‘Jeff.’

It took me a long time to realize that my God and everyone else’s God didn’t make this happen. Allah had nothing to do with the terrorists; Allah was nothing more than a pawn in the mass murder of so many. Jeff’s death was the most painful thing I had to go through in life. Never getting to say goodbye, never finding his body, having to tell my children and try to explain when I did not have any answers. Two of my children don’t remember him- only from pictures and video’s because they were so young.

Over time, with much therapy, support groups and my church-yes, the same one I so easily blamed, I see things a different way. I see that it was the extremists using the name of their God in vain to shine light on themselves. The cowards who physically killed all those innocent people also caused much pain for the innocent Muslim people who had nothing to do with the terror. Except to worship in a faith that was soiled by terrorists, and share an ethnic heritage, they could not be farther apart in worlds.

So, my not so simple answer is this: YES in capital letters, the Mosque, which is also a community center, should be built. I believe all the debate over this has been perpetrated by the Media and politicians weighing in their personal beliefs. The politicians, and yes the President, should only be commenting on the legality of it. If the permits are in order for zoning, there is a constitutional right. We as a nation, we can not take away the very rights that make this country what it is-and what the terrorists tried to take away from us. We must unite, not push others away.

The terrorists will not use this Mosque. The people who will use this facility are Americans, just like you and me. They did not ask for the hand that was dealt them. Many of whom were born here in this country; some are second and third generation. Do we remember the Japanese camps after Pearl Harbor? The segregation and the way we treated citizens of our own country? We cannot allow that to happen again. We all came to this country through forefathers from a foreign land. We can never forget that.

The best way to honor those who died that day is to show the `terrorist world` that they did not bring down our country, or tear our beliefs of freedom and justice apart. We have to be strong, and stand one united.

33 comments:

Tina~in_ut said...

Good Moaning~

Tina~in_ut said...

Goldie/M~ Beautiful post~ such compassion~ God bless your family, M~

Lynn D said...

Morning glories!

Tina you are so pretty this morning!

M and goldie, thank you so much for this blog. I am crying from the strength,passion and wisdom in these words. I hope that if I ever have to face something so devastating I have the courage and compassion that M has shown. Bless her and her family.

DeeDee said...

thank you Goldie and M.....

Reading the given details of this families tragedy really bring thats day front and center...

It will always be overwhelming for me....I am just so sad for your loss and all that you have gone through...

I will compose myself and be back to comment in a bit....

bonachichi said...

I think that was the most anticipated blog ever. Thank you Goldie, for writing it and M for sharing.

I see wisdom behind what M says. What a fantastic lady she must be.

bonachichi said...

DeeDee, I see you prepared for the occasion. Great avatar.

DeeDee said...

Bonachichi...

Actually no....I finally got my deed to the Brooklyn Bridge and was celebrating....and it just happened to coincide....

btw...you do know that corn in Italy counts too don't you?

I have to run to rehab my friend at the hospital at 10am....yay.....

BBL.....

East Bay J said...

I wanted to get up early and read this and glad I did.

Beautiful, all I can say about it.

M, courageous and passionate in your belief.

I thank you for sharing this, had me in tears too.

Goldie wonderful job, and thank you too.

Be back later!

bonachichi said...

I keep seeing corn. What's the deal with corn? This is apparently a great joke that is way over my head. Can someone educate me?

Tina~in_ut said...

DeeDee invented corn....every time you eat it, joke about it, grown it, smell it, poop it, think about it, you owe her money~ That's how she made her thousands~ :D

bonachichi said...

Ah... DeeDee invented corn! Must have been around the time she invented the wheel and discovered fire.

Dianne/Denver said...

Good MORNING everyone.

GOLDIE AND M: Thank you so much for sharing you story and to GOLDIE for publishing it for all of us to read. It is heartbreaking to actually hear the story from a true "survivor". I am so sorry for your loss..so sorry.
The anniversary date will soon be arriving and you and all the others are in my prayers. I know from personal experience how easy it is to blame God and get so mad...a wise nun told me once, "it's okay, God had big shoulders."

Hi TINA....Watcha' up to after work? Anything fun? Did you read Area 51 that I went to that movie? Boy, there were some cute coming attractions for fall too...all girl movies!! My GD says that's why it's fun to go to to a girl movie...you don't have to see those guy coming attractions!

LYNN: Are you resting today and having a well deserved happy hour tonight? Tell Angel hi for me.

DEEDEE: Well, finally you received your deed. Now you can make some bucks!!! More bucks I should say after corn and all......

CHICHI: Have fun shopping and having some fun for the day. Everyone has a day of rest.

EBJ; Well, today you can hop in the pool without having lots of people to be host to like last week. How is MrEBJ's foot coming along?

I have a friend and her daughter and new baby bringing lunch over for a visit with me today. It will be so nice to see them.

Have a good day and again....Thanks GOLDIE AND M.

Jodi said...

GOLDIE...thank you for doing the leg work, and M you are a true survivor!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about 9/11 and the mosque debate. Blessings to you and your family ♥

Waving a wing at TINA, LYNN, DEE DEE, BONACHICHI, EBJ & DIANNE!!

I've been up since midnight. I got a call from my daughter wondering if I could pick her up. She was staying over at a friend's house and the mother got a burr up her ass and kicked her out. I never went back to bed....too afraid I wouldn't hear my alarm for work.

Wishing everyone a peaceful weekend ♥

DeeDee said...

Clarification....

I invented what WE know as corn...it was called maize before that....I believe Tina's people still call it maize...

As far as how I made my money...well...suffices to say that one does not put all of ones chickens in one basket.....such as corn...I am very diversified....however I did put most of my chickens in Warren Buffets basket in the sixties....and that brilliant move...coupled with my corn royalties has me sitting pretty...

Let me put it this way....I can afford to rent whatever I need...

(she says as she does a finger snap in the air and a wink)

Jodi said...

DEE DEE - And what is the color of the lipstick you use on Warren's plane? ;)

DeeDee said...

Jodi!!

I thought I wrote that down for you1! I believe it is a Chanel shade...

Oeillet du minou...(pussy pink)...or sometimes I wear

Guerlain KissKiss Rouge de la ventouse du coq

most time its the "Guerlain
KissKiss'....that stuff can really take a beating....

Dianne/Denver said...

MARY---we r getting ready to play ur football team. Kick off is now so u know the old saying---Gooooo BRONCOS
Also, Happy Birthday ZONA

Tina~in_ut said...

uh.....1-800-NASCAR!!!! Bristol night race!!!! DUH!!!!~ What's wrong with you Dianne?

bonachichi said...

DeeDee you SO BAD!!! Kisskiss my arse.

sacBarb said...

Happy Saturday Owls.

M, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Goldie so she could share it with us. I am so sorry for what you and your family has endured.

Goldie, Thanks to you too for writing the blog for us.

sacBarb said...

Zona, Happy birthday to youuuuu ♪♪♪♪
I hope you had a wonderful day and all your birthday wishes came true. ♥U

night.owls.sb said...

Dear M,

Thank you for sharing your story, your words brought me to tears. I admire your strength, courage, and forgiveness. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you and your family. The loss must be so overwhelming. My deepest condolences for your loss. Your kindness to share your story with us is admirable. I am sure Jeff is near and looking over all of you.

Again, Thank You
Carol

night.owls.sb said...

Goldie,

Your did a terrific job in writing this blog and transforming M's words into her story. I was so drawn in, I actually read it several times. Thank you for taking the time to contact M and sharing with us. Amazing Job..

night.owls.sb said...

My feelings about the mosque are still unchanged. Perhaps I need to let the anger go, and find forgiveness as M did. But I am not ready to do so. I harbor to many ill feelings of this tragic day. When I sit down and think about releasing the anger, I just think about the events and instead of finding peace I find more anger. I know that not all Muslims are terrorists just as I know all people are not killers. But I feel there is more behind this mosque than just a community center, more ties that come from a place where we should fear. I don't trust Mr Rauf, and don't like what he said about my country. I really hope I am wrong, and I guess time will tell. I want to respect each person who passed on 9/11, and let them know they will never be forgotten.

I hope someday, I can find the peace that M has found, and go forward in life not judging certain ppl for what others have done. I can only hope.

night.owls.sb said...

I had a long day today.. Lots of errands to run, nails, pedi, and then off to my nephews house for their end of summer bash.. (they have a start of summer bash as well). We hung out, and it seems I watch everyone drink. (noone is driving) IS#3 made jello shots (watermelon) I was so looking forward to pop a few, but by the time I got there they were all gone.. I asked him how many he made and he said 50.. holy moly I got there @ 8p and 50 shots were gone.. LOL

IS#2 did have a secret one he stashed for me, but it was in a plastic cup and filled almost to the top.. way to much for me, so I did guzzled down a bit.. and wow there was more vodka in there then jello.. No wonder noone is driving and thank god for that..

I just got home a bit ago, and I am sleepy.. gonna get comfy and hit the hay..

Hope all had a great day..

Goldie.. Thanks again.. you went above and beyond.. ♥♥

night.owls.sb said...

Zona..

Sorry.. I almost forgot..

Happy, Happy Birthday.. Hope your day was as special as you are..

♥♥♥

HAPPY BLUE

night.owls.sb said...

and blue hearts for you toooooo....

♥♥♥

Just_Lin said...

Goldie That was a wonderful blog. Thank you so much for putting it together and please thank "M" for us from the bottom of our collective hearts. I feel honored that she agreed to share her feelings with us.

Mary/MI said...

Good evening everyone! I have been out most of the day and went to sing Karaoke while watching the Lions stomp the Denver Broncs ;-)! Diane & I were texting each other the whole time. Now that was fun!
Beats watching cars go round & round & round & round kwim?

"M", thank-you for sharing your heartfelt story. I admire your strength and wisdom. Peace to you and your family.

Goldie. You did a great job writing her thoughts and feelings.

I have a ticket to see Jeff Daniels at out local theater tomorrow. He has done great work here in Michigan, especially with an actor's theater he founded.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Dianne/Denver said...

MARY: I wouldn't say the Lions actually "stomped" the Broncos. You stole the ball in the last 20 seconds and we lost!!!! Our player didn't mean to drop it so conveniently for you....good thing it is pre season!!

Jodi said...

DIANNE - My "other" team won!!

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

"M" thank you for telling Goldie your story and allowing her to pass it on to us. (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

Goldie thank you for telling us "M's" story. What a powerful blog.

I think I'll go back to bed.

Bebbilane said...

Goldie: That was so well written and so interesting. Thank you so much!!

Congrats on moaning, er first, Tina.. even if I am a day late and a dollar short. :)

Okay reading comments here and then heading over to today's to comment further.