Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

~ Service ~

by Tina~in_ut

I've had my fill of flying lately~  Yesterday was my last flight for a while (I hope!).  I was waiting to board my flight home when I heard the gate agent try to stop a man from boarding with too many carry-on bags.  He stopped long enough to tell her that he was carrying his son's bag as well and kept going.  She called him back.  He wouldn't come back.  She kept walking toward him asking him to come back thru the jetway to the boarding area.  It took him forever to come back and work the whole thing out.  I didn't hear the outcome, but he acted like an ass toward the agent and was eventually able to board.

I was one of the last to get on the flight.  Right in front of me, the same gate agent stopped a woman from carrying on 3 bags.  As I passed her, she tried to talk the agent into "just letting her go this one time!"  She added that she's a Platinum member (someone who flies between 75,000 to 125,000 miles a year).  The agent was very polite both times, but stuck to her guns.  The flight was in danger of running late and we didn't have time for this.  The next thing I know as I'm entering the jetway, one of the pilots is carrying the coffee he had run out to get for the crew, and one of the lady's bags.  He completely diffused the situation, had the lady laughing, and as he made his way thru the line of passengers with his "coming through....wide load", he had the rest of us smiling.  Right then, I decided to send in a compliment for him.  I just had to get his name. 

Well that turned out to be easy.  Once everyone was on board, the same pilot, Harv, came into the cabin to say hello to those in first class, and the high fliers in the front of the coach cabin.  Since I was sitting in the second row of coach, I read his name tag.  He saw me staring at him and said, "Hello to you, young lady!"  I just smiled.

He is by far, the nicest and most engaging pilot I've ever encountered.  Most of them are so full of themselves that I just want to smack them.  And it didn't stop with just him.  He set the tone.  The flight attendants were fabulous too.  The two male flight attendants took care of the front and there was a female in the back that I didn't have any contact with.  Both guys were great.  Very friendly, smiled, listened.....I mean come on....one of them apologized to me for the delay in getting me my drink!  Everyone knows that Diet Coke takes FOREVER to fill in a cup cuz of the dang carbonation.  duh!!!~  I wish all our flight crews were like this, especially the flight crew on my outbound flight!  Then maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be known as the airline with the worst customer service!  sigh~

28 comments:

Dianne/Denver said...

First

Dianne/Denver said...

My my I am lovely today

Dianne/Denver said...

Guess time to read blog--isnt it still night?

Mary/MI said...

Morning beautiful Diane!

Mary/MI said...

Tina, I think I have run into more rude passengers than airline personal. Sounds like you had a great flight.
Did you have a great Birthday and get lots of neat cards? ;-)

Mary/MI said...

test,image

Mary/MI said...

It is frickin cold here in Mich!!
I have been putting off going to town. Better getter done......

DeeDee said...

Good Morning ladies....

Dianne...Halloween is over....I'm the self appointed avatar monitor...we could have had an election but Shirley would have beaten me....

Mary...your new av is cute....but is that bird with its legs in the air some sort of veiled reference?

oh! the blog...

The joys of commercial air travel these days....no thanks...

I remember the days when flying was an event. People dressed. It was glamorous. The service was impeccable....

As the prices came down...so did the service....until now when its like ur just being shot from point A to point B in a metal tube...

Delays...mechanicals...bombs...people with bombs in their shoes and drawers....engines exploding on new airplanes....ridiculous security measures...screaming babies that smoke...landing in freezing rivers....or smashing into the ground...people fighting...inflating escape chutes....people with B.O.....

nope! ...don't miss that a bit...

bonachichi said...

Glad you had a good flight, Tina. I have a lot of compassion for airline personnel. We don't make their jobs easy.

It is so aggravating to fly. My luggage is always of such interest, so I try not to take any with me. Then the fact that I don't have any becomes another point of interest. I'm screwed either way.

Still, no matter how badly I feel I'm treated, I try to be respectful to the airline staff.

bonachichi said...

DeeDee, I imagine you just strap a rocket between your legs and steer with your butt cheeks.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Tina your blog today has me very confused. The pilot helped out the screaming woman and had her laughing. The two male flight attendants "took care" of you, but (here's the confusing part)one brought you diet Coke. WTF?? I thought you only liked diet Pepsi.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Afternoon all! I see Dianne beat the early birds to arrive at 1st! Congrats! I hope no feathers were lost or damaged in the process.

Hi Mary, DeeDee and Bonachi!

It's a very depressing day here in Nova Scotia. Wind and rain since yesterday evening and it will continue until Sat. possible Sunday. Then tomorrow night the time goes back so it will be dark by 5:30. I hate this time of year. Plus everyone here is talking about Christmas and I don't like that either. It's just another day that costs more money than it should. My sister wants me to come down to her house, and my brother wants me to come out to his house...I don't want to do anything. Did I say I hate this time of year?

DeeDee said...

T-Bird...I resemble that remark!

Tina~in_ut said...

Shirley~ lmbo...i actually thought of changing it to Diet Pepsi, but we don't serve Pepsi products....lol~ Ur brain is funny~

Dianne~ you scared me so early in the morning~

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Well Tina you need to get that changed really quick. I mean how do they expect people to fly without diet Pepsi? Absurd!!!

Thank you for saing my brain is funny. Most people think it's just weird, but I like funny better.

Just_Lin said...

Dianne Congrats on first, Gorgeous!

Mary How cold is it? Our weather is starting to cool down. I think we expect rain on Sunday.

DeeDee LMAO @ babies that smoke!

Bonach LMAO @ your remarks to DeeDee.

Shirley Even though you don't think you feel like going, I think you should go to the home of the sibling you get along with best. I think you'll be glad you did.

Tina Thanks for the blog today. I think people have just gotten more rude lately, period. And DeeDee is right. Flighing used to be more of a classy event, not just a cattle call. Those were the days when fuel was reasonably priced.

Just_Lin said...

Flighing? What the hell is that? LOL Let's try "flying".

DeeDee said...

Oh!

I for got to mention people who splatter their cold soup* in your face!!


*Air France....Mary...lol..

bonachichi said...

DeeDee, are you even allowed on commercial flights? How do you get around that pesky "No Fly List"?

DeeDee said...

any airline would LOVE to have me!! I lend prestige wherever I go...

I can just hear the slogan...

"DeeDee flies American!"

a few full page ads....billboards..you couldn't PUT enough seats on those planes!!

Mary/MI said...

Oh DeeDee, you HAD to remind me! LOL!
I still feel terrible about it!

Justlin, I like your "flighing". :)
Right now it is 33* bur-r-r-r!

Just_Lin said...

Mary Ooh, I'm cold just reading about your temp. Maybe "flighing" is more high class than just "flying". LOL

Just_Lin said...

DeeDee You certainly don't fly Virgin. LOL

Just_Lin said...

On one of our flights during my last vacation, my daughter had to reach across the aisle to wake me because I was snoring. LOL

Just_Lin said...

Sweet dreams, HOoters!

Dianne/Denver said...

Sweet Dreams hooters

Jodi said...

Good morning HOoters!!

TINA - I haven't flown in about 15 years, so I'll have to take your word for it!!

Wishing everyone a peaceful weekend. Getting ready to go out to breakfast with my hubby ♥

Jodi said...

Testing.....1, 2, 3 ♥