Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

A day in my life....

It is strange how your day begins with sunshine, and at times ends in a storm.

He fell, I was told.  My neighbor heard him yelling for help.  He ran to his aid and called 911.  When I got the call, Sal was being transported to the ER.  He was in pain and we all thought he had broken a hip.  As he was being wheeled away, his words were to his mother, "Mom help me," and off he went.

As the day continued on, my thoughts were on him, wondering now, with a broken hip, he probably would never walk again.  My feelings of frustration and abandonment surfaced.  As I shared this with my SSO, his words to me were simple yet profound, "You don't kick someone when they are down."  These words haunted me all day.  They ripped at my gut and allowed my heart to feel.

I normally would not visit Sal in the hospital.  I guess by me not seeing him, I can always have hope that he would return to me.  If I did see him, and his look was sickly, the realization of his illness would surface, and I would have to face the work world without him.

Yesterday was different.  I felt I needed to see him, to talk, to come to terms, to understand that we as a team would be no more.  So on my way home I decided to stop by the ER.  Parking was atrocious.  I drove around several times and almost gave up, but something pulled me there, something deep inside knew I had to go.  I parked illegally (which I never do, ever) and off I went.

The ER was packed.  I found my way to the attendant and asked for him by name.  I was told a room number along with directions.  I had to navigate my way thru several doors, and several people.  I walked on but could not find the room number I was told to look for.  So I circled and circled and circled until finally I asked a very busy nurse. "Go thru that open doorway, behind the curtain."

As I pulled the curtain, I saw a man that for some reason was not familiar to me.  I looked again, scanned the cubicle, and thought, "Is this Sal?"  A man with a tube in his mouth, not hooked up to anything, was just laying there all by himself.  "Sal, Sal it's me.  Sal, Sal it's me."  The slit of his eye was visible, so he had to know it was me. "Sal, Sal it's me, Sal!"  And then it hit me.  He was gone.

I went blank.  My mind whirled.  I checked his hand for the ring he always wore.  The ring was there.  I looked for movement of his chest.  I watched and watched and watched.  No movement.  I knew, my heart knew.  I left the cubicle only to go back in three more times.  The thought of what was occurring was not processing.

My feet finally took me to the nurses station where everyone was so busy.  I asked for help and was sent to another nurses station.  A nurse without a inch of a smile looked up at me and I pleaded.  "Please, I need your help."  And her reply, "What."  I think of this now and I wish I had kicked her in the shin (as Zona would do).  Instead I froze as I said his name to her only to hear, "I will get the Dr."  Frozen in time I was, as I waited.  The Dr approached, took my hand, and I said to him, "He is gone, isn't he?"  One word, I remember the one word, "Yes."

He was responsive when he got to the ER, x-rays came back fine, no broken bones, blood work came back fine.  But in a sudden twist, his pressure dropped, his breathing was labored.  They worked on him for an hour, but to no avail.  His heart could not take it.

I made one phone call, to my neighbor, who I asked to come (which he did).  As I waited, I went back to his cubicle, behind the curtain, and stood by his side.  Thru my tears, I said, "Sal, we started together and we end together."

I thought, if I did not come here tonite, who knows when we would have found out of his passing.  If the attendant did not notify me as I asked him to, then when would the call have come. To be alone as one passes is unthinkable.  I stayed with him for several hours.  I watched as he received his blessing.  I did not leave his side.  In my heart I knew he called for me, he pulled me there.  He did not want to be alone.  His family arrived and I was glad they did.  And with their arrival, it was time for me to bid farewell.

My only wish, my only hope, is that he is resting, in peace with the God he so loved.

53 comments:

Mary/MI said...

:):)

Tina~in_ut said...

Carol~ I'm SO sorry you had to go thru that, but for Sal's and your sake, I'm glad you were there. Sal is no longer suffering and is in Heaven basking in God's glory. He's with all the angels and saints and is once again whole. My dad says that everyone has a "Plan" and this was just part of Sal's plan. I usually pray for those left behind and will continue to pray for you~

Mary/MI said...

AMAZING!! Tina, did you let me be beautiful today??

Tina~in_ut said...

Read the blog mary~

Tina~in_ut said...

and yes....read the QOTD~

Mary/MI said...

I just read your blog Carol,it gave me chills. I too think he was calling to you as he was about to ascend to heaven.I am glad you followed the call. I hope in some way it gives you peace. I am with Tina. I too pray for those who are left behind. {{HUGS}} to you. I will be thinking of you today and hope you find some yellow.

Tina~in_ut said...

btw Carol~ Don't you know the parking space prayer?

Hail Mary
Full of Grace
Help me find a parking space~

Zona said...

CAROL: I am so very very sorry for your loss. Sal is in Paradise now, no longer suffering..no longer in pain. I'm sure he is looking down on you with the smile you came to know so well, and is thanking you for being such a wonderful friend. My prayers are with you..for peace, comfort and strength to help get through this very difficult time.

Zona said...

MARY: You look so very pretty this morning!

TINA: My dad was always able to find the best parking spaces in the most crowded parking lots. Now when we find a good space..we always thank my dad..the parking angel. :)

goldie said...

Carol~ Sal is at peace. The suffering and illness that tortured him in life are now gone.

I am so sorry you went thru that, but also grateful for you that you had the opportunity to be with Sal. I'm sure that you were one of the Angels in his life.

Lynn D said...

Carol I am in tears. That is so heart wrenching. I am glad you followed your heart and that call that pulled you to the hospital. You are so right no one should pass alone.

I am so sad at reading this that I don't know what to say.

The only thing I can muster up is that I am so glad he had you for those last few hours to take control and make sure his final needs were taken care of.

Bless you and Sal.

goldie said...

Hey Mary!! You sure are pretty today! Good Morning Zona and Tina!

goldie said...

Hi Lynn, you snuck in...

Lynn D said...

Mary congrats on first you beauty is dazzling! :)

Jodi I finally got a chance to watch the video and those are some very talented musicians. I hope they all go on and use their gift.

Lynn D said...

Hi goldie I guess I did sneak in. :)

Waving at Tina and Zona.

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Carol I'm glad you wrote this blog and I hope by doing so it helped you come to terms with the loss of your business partner and friend, Sal. I hope that in the days ahead, when you look at my sunshine avatar you will know that someone in Nova Scotia is thinking about you and loves you.
((((HUGS))))

Shirley(NCC-1701) said...

Good morning pretty Mary, Tina, Zona, Goldie and Lynn!

I'm making chicken sandwiches for mum so I better get dressed and get going. See you all later!

East Bay J said...

Good morning,

Carol, I can't really add more than has already been said. I am so glad you were called to the hospital and got to see your friend.

Sending you big hugs and I am thinking of you.

East Bay J said...

Mary, congrats on being prettiest this morning! Tina was a close second!

Good morning to all, have a nice day today!

Jodi said...

CAROL - I'm so glad you followed your heart and went to the ER. My deepest sympathy to you during this difficult time. ♥ u.....mean it!!

MARY - You are striking today ♥

TINA - Luv the parking space prayer!! Being Lutheran I wasn't familiar with it ;)

LYNN - Thank you. There are several students in that orchestra I know that are planning careers in music.

Waving a wing @ ZONA, GOLDIE, SHIRLEY & EBJ!!

DeeDee said...

Carol....I am sorry for the loss of your friend....and the shock of having walked in on that situation.....very difficult....

I have said it many times...none of us are guaranteed the next hour to live....

In light of that fact I will say this again....you people and this place has enriched my life.....and I love you all for it....

See...now I can go out and get hit by some of that falling frozen pee from and airliner....and I am "good to go" at the nest....

Hey...we still gotta laugh...it makes everything better...

DeeDee said...

JODI!!

I had no idea you are Lutheran!!

So you have actually biten the head off a live chicken??

wait....that may be the Baptists...

do yall take up serpents??

again...that may be the Methodists....

wait wait!! I know...do yall sprinkle or dunk??

JoeyfromSC said...

Carol, sorry for your loss...You told the story with such emotion!

huge hugs to you!:)

Mary/MI said...

DeeDee, I wonder what your take is on protestants, you know, hell,fire & brimstone! We do dunk.
I swear we don't eat chicken heads!

Mary/MI said...

Joey!!

Jodi said...

DEE DEE - Sprinklers....!!

DeeDee said...

Mary....my second husband had to have protestant surgery....it was enlarged...

Jodi....thats soo much better than having to wash off your make-up and get your hair wet....

and lets face it....if u were going to get dunked you would have to wear one of those "push come to shove" brassiere's....

Mary/MI said...

DeeDee, there goes another panty liner!!!!!

DeeDee said...

I can't believe not one person has said a thing about my new Eva Gabor wig......humpht!!


Mary...

it took me a minute but ur talking about the laser guided Hellfire Missile System aren't you!! Attached to the Kiowa Warrior chopper they are lethal!! The USA uses them all the time for killing innocent men..women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan!!

Thats the only hellfire and brimstone that I believe exist anywhere....and its man made...

DeeDee said...

Those panty liners are so handy....me... at this point just stuff a big ole kotex pad down there so I don't have to worry about fillin' up my steppers.....

Mary....what is your religious affiliation....this is important to me as I may prolly want to make fun of it at one time or the other....

Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

Mary/MI said...

DeeDee, I am the daughter of a protestant preacher. Let the jokes begin! I pretty much have heard them all! (teachers grinding their teeth at my sentence lol).

Eva would not be amused! ijs

Mary/MI said...

I am making home made pizza, put in your orders please! Who's bringing dessert and booze?

bbl

Dianne/Denver said...

CAROL: I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Sal. It certainly brought tears to my eyes reading your post. I am so glad you did that illegal park and found the room. I am sure he knew you were there as he looked down on you.

My prayers are with you and his family.

Jodi said...

MARY - I made meatloaf, garlic red smashed taters, and corn!!

DIANNE - Waving at you ♥

DEE DEE - For a fancy wig like that, I thought it would have a better fit, or at least a sassier style...ijs!!!

Jodi said...

Good night all....it's been a long day.

CAROL - I just re-read your blog. You truly have been Sal's Angel of late. Please know you have a whole nest of friends that love you and if you need ANYTHING we are here for you ♥

Maureen said...

CAROL...I am so sorry for your loss. Sal was more then a business partner to you. Through the years and especially of late you were his friend and caregiver. You were his chosen family. And he could not have chosen better.

You were always there for Sal when he needed you and this was why you were there at this time.

Know he is resting in peace. No more pain or suffering or isolation. He is with g-d and the angels.

I hope you can find some peace and comfort in all that has happened. We grieve for those that have passed and pray for those of you left behind.

And remember, one of the stages of grief is anger, so please don't beat yourself up if you get mad. It's natural.

As JODI said, there are a ton of us here for you whenever you need anyone.

Bebbilane said...

Carol: Wow, that brought me to tears. I am so sorry for your loss and thank you so much for sharing what happened. You have no idea how much you've been in my thoughts lately and I hope that you find peace and you always have a friend here in Kentucky.

Bebbilane said...

Mary: I got the dessert! Cake with thick frosting and strawberries on top and a large container of fruit!

whabbear said...

Carol: Your blog was right from the heart, and it hit me right in the gut!

I hope I am so lucky as to have a friend like you when my time comes.

Joey! Good to see you!

night.owls.sb said...

Hi Everyone..

Thank you ever so much for all the kind word's you have written..I read every comment, and I thankful to call you all friends..

Your condolences, your support, your smiles, your hugs, mean so much..

Thank You!

night.owls.sb said...

Today I received many calls with people asking about Sal and what happen.. I spoke to each one, as I felt they needed to hear the story, so they can get some closure, and grieve in their own way.. With each call it got harder, but I continued..

About 3p I just about lost it.. I called Vincent to come to my office and he did.. (thank goodness) he helped me just get thru the day..

I thought it would be a bit easier today, but that was not the case.

I think when this week is over and his services concluded.. life will began again for me..

For now, I am moving without thinking, but that is ok, time will help me.. I will be ok..

The worse in all of this, which my mind can't wrap around, is opening that curtain, seeing him, and knowing what I felt, but praying it was not true..

When I asked to see him, I should have been stopped and told of his passing.. I should have never been allowed to go to his bedside without being told.. Later on that evening a nurse apologized to me for what happen and admitted to me that I should have never been let in without be told.. sooo I must live with the image of him, as I could never forgot..

night.owls.sb said...

Hey.. Joey stopped by.. so good to see him..

Hi Joey!!! waving at ya!!!

night.owls.sb said...

And Dee, you are so right..

"Laughter makes everything better"

night.owls.sb said...

Jodi..

I actually felt my heart was talking to me.. A very weird feeling..

night.owls.sb said...

LOL LOL

Tina....

Hail Mary
Full of Grace
Help me find a parking space~

I will I knew this prayer before I parked illegally!!!!

night.owls.sb said...

crap... will should be wish..

night.owls.sb said...

Tina..

I think you are right.. this was part of his Plan.. he was tired, and truly could not fight anymore..

night.owls.sb said...

ok.. I need to find my pillow and rest my head..

Thanks again everyone..

♥♥♥

Just_Lin said...

Carol I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner to tell you how sorry I am about your experience at the hospital. What a shock that must have been. You are right that you never should have been sent into that room unprepared for what you would find. That was a real lapse on the part of the hospital. It was good that the nurse apologized to you. It was kind and sensitive of you to stay with Sal until his family arrived. (((HUGS)))

Just_Lin said...

50 for Sal

Birdee said...

((((((((Carol))))))))))
I'm so sorry to hear about Sal and what you've been though. You're in my thought's and heart. I hope you were able to get some much needed rest last night. You were a wonderful friend and partner to Sal and I'm sure he knew it.
I'm here for you, along with everyone else.....a Wonderful group of Friends!!!!!

I ♥ YOU!!!!!
xoxoxoxox

Lois Lane said...

Carol I am so sorry. Sal was never alone. You were with him in heart mind and spirit. We should all be that lucky to have someone who cares so much. xo

bonachichi said...

Carol, I just don't know what to say. Sal was your partner; you shared many years together and the two of you knew each other better than most.

I'm so sorry you had to find out that way. Might as well have delivered a singing telegram to your office, for all the finesse that was exercised.